BBQ resting pork butt and brisket

Joined Feb 16, 2021
Hi, Im based in the UK and have asked this question of my local FHO but no reply. Hot holding food is restricted to 2 hours but I wonder if I am interpreting the rules incorrectly. I smoke brisket and pork amongst other things, but if I am doing a large amount there is no way that this can all be prepped packed etc and held in hot boxes without it being outwith a 2 hour window.. i.e I get my pork and brisket ready and it will be 4 hours until the event there is no way anyone is still smoking and cooking these as they travel to the event. So I must be interpreting the rules incorrectly, if I rest the Brisket and ribs and put into my hot box these things can stay hot above 63 degrees c for hours but Im ready that hot holding is only allowed for 2 hours... which means reheating ...

I know in America many BBQ joints will rest their brisket for up to 9 hours .

Am I right/wrong on this?

tks

Joined Feb 8, 2009
I think you're miss reading the Health dept rules. This is from the UK

If hot food will be on display for more than 2 hours, keep above 63oC.....Thats 145F

Joined Feb 16, 2021
Thanks for reply, yes I was getting them wrong. Spoke to my local health inspector who clarified food can be held for any length of time above 63F, (although not sure I would want to). Just need to ensure its temped regularly, if it falls below that it can be reheated but needs used within 2 hours, or again falling below that, removed and chilled for reuse another time.

Top Bottom