BBQ help!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, May 24, 2014.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    So we've decided we're going to smoke a pork butt for Memorial Day and have never done it before.  I've slow cooked it before in the oven but never in a bullet smoker.  About how long should it take, what temperatures are we looking for and how long will it need to rest before I pull it and toss it with a north carolina style mustard sauce?

And I want to make baked beans too, never made from scratch before.  Suggestions are very welcome.

2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Never smoked anything in my life so I won't be of much help here, but I wanted to wish you best of luck, wish I could have a bite, and please post pictures of the result!! 

3. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  4. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Go here.  This website is dedicated the the Weber Smokey Mountain bullet smoker and that's a link to the recipe.  Once out of the smoker, wrap your butt in foil, cover, and allow to rest at least half an hour.

I cooked butts only in the smokey mountain.

@225F approximately 12 hours for 7# and 15-18 hours for 10#

at 350F (which I've never done) should take around 3-5 hours.

Use a meat thermometer, however.

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
  6. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I didn't notice she used canned. Pork and beans..they sell it in the section where you find hormel corned beef hash I believe.

7. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Pork may need to go to 195-200 internal temp to be pulled. Rest for at least an hour wrapped in foil and then into a towel(catch any leaks/adds insulation) lined cooler(Can hold this way up to 6 hours). This is my baked bean recipe everyone raves about

* Exported from MasterCook *

Baked Beans

Recipe By     :Mary Brown
    Serving Size  : 16    Preparation Time :0:45
    Categories    : sides

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    --------  ------------  --------------------------------
      1           48oz jar  cooked white beans -- drained
      1              pound  bacon -- fried until not quite crispy, reserve the fat
      1              large  onion -- peeled and chopped
      8        tablespoons  sugar
         2/3           cup  molasses
      2          teaspoons  dry mustard
      4          teaspoons  salt -- optional
      2          teaspoons  black pepper -- or to taste, start with 1/2tsp
      4        tablespoons  bacon fat
                            water -- just to cover everything

combine everything in a bbq pit or oven safe dish or crockpot. Cook at 225 to 250 or on low for the crockpot for 8 to 10 hours

8. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I know some bbq'ers who remove and foil their butts when the internal temperature reaches 165-170F.

9. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Seems odd to me.  That's about the plateau temp, when the magic starts happening.  If you monitor the internal temp it will rise up to a point and then stay there, give or take a few degrees.  It may go up a hair, then down a bit, then up again. When the temp starts rising steadily the butt is "done" and can be removed and rested, and will be a nice slicing consistency.  If you want to pull it all, most folks go to an internal temp of about 190F

10. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It looks good, but no bbq sauce?  And you say 225-250, is that in the oven for 8-10hrs??

11. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It sounds like a lot of work!  We're talking like 10hrs??  Is that even possible all in one day?  Can I cook it in the oven the day before for like 6hrs and then put it in the smoker the next day for a couple of hours?  It just seems like a lot of time to sit there!

12. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Yes, it does take a long time. But once the meat is prepped and loaded into the smoker, the work is mostly keeping the temp in the cooker within the desired range.  One can go with a hotter temp and reduce the cooking time somewhat.

And you can make use of the oven, though the final product won't be quite as tasty as pork done 100% in the smoker.

mjb.

13. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks, how do you suggest I make use of the oven?  I was thinking cooking it for about 6hrs today at 225, covered or uncovered?  I know it won't be quite as tasty but I cannot devote my husband to sitting outside for 10hrs when I've got a party and a toddler to prep for lol.  I've made pulled pork utilizing just the oven and it's been fantastic, I'm sure the time in the smoker will only enhance and be I hate to say "good enough."

14. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @Koukouvagia: which brand of smoker are you using for this cookout?

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  15. geno

geno

Exp:
    Beverage Expert
    So you want to smoke a piece of meat you have never smoked before AND make baked beans from scratch for the very first time. Are people invited to this party? I would love to be there , watching people under extreme stress is very entertaining. 

My advice is to buy one bottle of Jack Daniels and /or 3 bottles of some good red wine. These are just for you, if others plan to drink,you will need to buy more.

good luck.

16. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    We have a Brinkman bullet.  Although we have decided we will smoke it on a Weber grill a la Steve Raichlen.  It's going to be fantastic and hubby is awesome with a grill.  

17. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Is the Brinkman electric or charcoal-fired??  Good choice on the Weber a Raichlen!

18. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Charcoal filled! But yes now that we decided in the weber it doesn't feel like an undo able feat.

19. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Okay I'm prejudiced in that I have a Weber Smokey Mountain bullet smoker that makes the Brinkmann pale in comparison.  The latter needs too many modifications to get it to work right is what I keep reading.  Not the Weber and so you're probably way way better off using your Weber kettle for the smoker.

20. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You dont know me or my culinary abilities. None of my guests are mean spirited or find pleasure in watching me fail.@geno

Last edited: May 25, 2014