Bay scallops...any ideas?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by gonefishin, May 3, 2006.

1. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has ideas for bay scallops?

thanks,

dan

2. higjse

higjse

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    with or without the shell?

last week I had em live and fresh, simply steamed em in some tomato water, w/ a salad of fresh herbs... sold out in two hours...

we did a trio of soups using frozen, :cool: yes frozen, bay scallops last menu cycle... pureed some in the stocks for body and flavor... was pretty nice

saute em up with some gnocchi and a good butter or cream sauce, put em in a broth for a fish accompaniment, scallop bouillabaisse... scallop fried rice... the possibilities are endless... scallops are one of the most versatile proteins we have around, and since their so small you can feature em or use em as a garnish.... good luck

3. godfather_chef

godfather_chef

Exp:
    Line Cook
    scallop risotto is very good as well, with just a touch of marscapone and maybe some baby spinach, quite good.

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Seviche! But only a quick dunk in the liquid. I used to make it at work with orange, lemon, and lime juices, rice wine vinegar, some ground guajillo chile, lime leaves, lemongrass, lemon thyme, sliced Thai chiles, chopped shallots, cilantro, and a little salt. Let this sit overnight, strain, and then add the scallops a la minute. You can then add chopped cilantro, minced shallot, more sliced chiles, etc.

or Coquilles St Jacques, in a fish-based veloute, topped with grated Gruyere and glazed.

5. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm thinking a Scallop and Spring Vegetable ragout. Quickly sear the scallops in butter and olive oil, remove from pan. Then saute up a few morels, add a light fish fumet and cook until morels are tender. Add some fresh favas, and asparagus tips (and first of season English peas if available) all pre blanched. Heat through. Finish the sauce with a good amount of butter stirred in and add the scallops back, off the heat, just to warm them through.

6. crazytatt

crazytatt

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm partial to breading them lightly in chrused blue corn tortillias chips, pan flas frying, serve em on a bed of shreded napa slaw, w/ cilanro lime vin, and a dipping duo of sweet thai chilli sauce, and lemon horseradish aioli.

7. travisbickle

travisbickle Banned

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I'm guessing you are referring to the frozen product in which case, keep in mind they will be full of h2O. I used to have an appetizer on my menu where I used bay scallops sauteed in butter with lemon and dill, drained and then mixed with gueyre cheese. Then I would bias cut peices of baguette and spead the mixure on the bread and broil until just golden. I served four peices per order for 6.95. It was a pretty good app! Goes down nicely with a dry white like a Pinot Grigio.

8. shahar

shahar

bay scallop pakora with tamarind-star anise broth.

orange cured bay scallop with vanilla vodka vin and baby arugula

tea smoked bay scallops with kolohrabi radish

9. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! :)

I ended up with a quick poach, flambé with a Pernod Cream Sauce. Turned out nice. Although I do think the sweetness best comes through when left untouched. But still :)

thanks!

dan

10. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Too late:mad: I always liked Bay Scallops even though they don't have a tremendous amount of flavor by themselves. Back in the day, Mom used to saute them up with prodigious amounts of finely ground black pepper and lemon butter. Usually over rice, and usually at the beach house. Mmm.. good
    I like them now with a smoked salmon cream or beurre blanc over pasta.

11. aprilb

aprilb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Basic cream soup base, flour, butter, s & p, a pinch of cayenne or louisiana hot sauce after it's done. Minced onion, celery and I like a few mushrooms. Add heavy cream.

Add the scallops, maybe some other seafood. I like shrimp, crab, halibut.

Let the soup cook the fish. Simmer.

You can add potatoes if you like. Scallions, but only at the last minute because cooking kind of ruins the taste.

Play with it.

You could use asparagus, ... but make it a mild veg. Don't overpower the sweetness of the scallops.

I've made crab, shrimp, or lobster dips. Never heard of a scallop dip. Anyone ever do that one?

April

12. diane

diane

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Now chefTatt rang my bell. Apart from that I have only had them when the kids went down with a sugar bag, and we heated them through in a billy can on the beach. Mussells and oysters too. Those scollops can skip around, wonder the kids didn't drown. Bread and butter of course. Nice.

13. jonk

jonk

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Wow...what great ideas. We saute red and green pepper strips with chopped garlic in extra virgin olive oil, then add the bay scallops and a touch of clam broth at the end, tossing the mixture with linguine and some toasted bread crumbs, serving with parmesan. The downside of bay scallops (they exude liquid) thus helps to make a sauce.

14. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    gently poach them in water lemon parsley stems, dillweed stems, salt

drain, separate from goo....refrig and add to mayo with capers, dillweed, tarragon, parsley, lemon with the tiniest hit of cayene. Add a bunch of scallions....Great on baby artichokes as an ap. or add shrimp, crab, whatever other seafood and make a salad with it.

15. andrew563

andrew563

I did a scallop ceviche for Cinco de Mayo

16. lobster boy

lobster boy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I saute a good amount of fresh spinach in a little butter with a pinch of salt, pepper, and nutmeg. I put this in the bottom of a buttered individual-sized casserole dish, top with 8 oz. raw bay scallops, put a slice of american cheese on the scallops and top with a buttered crumb mixture. Bake at 400 for about 10 to 15 minutes. The liquid given off from the scallops mixed with the melted cheese makes a nice little sauce. Mild flavors don't overwhelm the natural sweetness of the scallops.
    I stole this recipe from Chef Normand LeClair of Kingston, RI. Thanks Chef, it's my wife's favorite!

17. nancyr

nancyr

Exp:
    At home cook
    I've thrown frozen bay scallops into a basic quiche and it was fabulous.:chef:

18. scurvydog

scurvydog

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Bay scallops??? Who buys that horse crap? Bay scallops are like the "sh*t" of the meat world. Grind it up and hide it something if you have to, but don't waste your hard, earned money. Don't buy frozen seafood just because it has a colorful plastic outer covering. If you're shopping in the frozen food section of your local grocery, then, go home...right now...make a drink...take a nap...AND START OVER!!!!

19. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's funny, because Nantucket Bay Scallops are some of the most sought after scallops in the world. So sweet and tasty they don't even need cooking. I pop them right in my mouth from the can. And at anywhere from $17-24 a pound they aren't cheap!

20. scurvydog

scurvydog

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Alright Pete...Gimmie 'da lowdown...I live in Ohio...nothin' but frozen garbage we have to pass off as food to paying customers. Please, elaborate?