basil puree

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by lsklsk, Oct 7, 2013.

1. lsklsk

lsklsk

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    hi every one.this is my first post here/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif.hope u help me

im going to make a puree of basil.im looking for a puree that taste like fresh basil and has a puree consistency.actually im going to use it as a green decoration item(like dots,lines,and other shapes) to get contrast on my withe plates.i blenched some fresh basil and used a blender to puree them(with a bit of hot water) but the result was very watery,actually more like basil jouice !!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif

i searched youtube but didnt find any thing usefull.what is your solutions ?!

thanks all

2. helloitslucas

helloitslucas

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Are you using any oil in the puree? Neutral oils will help thicken it. As will a small amount of cornstarch/arrowroot or simple just letting it reduce over a lower heat until it thickens to your liking.

3. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I would use a lot of baby spinach and not even half of that volume basil to begin with; for creating more volume and secondly for a deeper green color.

Blanch all the leaves shortly, blitz leaves with a bit of boiling cooking water and add agar-agar. Pour on a tray and let set, then blitz the jellified result again into some sort of gel/puree. You can rewarm the gel (theoretically up to 70°C) without breaking the gel.

4. lsklsk

lsklsk

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    no i didnt use any sort of oil there.because i thought adding oil will make a sauce instead of puree.i will try adding cornstarch to see the result.but i hope it doesn't get flower taste.

i tried reducing by the heat but the basil cooked in the progress and the taste was not good

5. lsklsk

lsklsk

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    you mean i use a mixer or blender to make a puree out of the gellified result ?

6. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What kind of texture and taste (if any) are you looking for? 

7. brandon odell

brandon odell

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I just did something similar for a party, but with mint. I pureed fresh mint, and some spinach as Chris suggested, with chopped garlic, a little salt, a touch of white wine vinegar (lemon juice works too), and some olive oil. I pureed the tar out of it, then added some beaten egg yolk to thicken it, a little at a time until I got the right consistency.

8. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    You could always use xanthan gum to get more consistency without altering so much of the taste. 

My question is.... why basil puree <_< 

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  9. miguel neves

miguel neves

Exp:
    Line Cook
    For enhancing the flavour i would choose, olive oil, black pepper, parmesan cheese, garlic and salt. You can use potato to make the body of the puree or you can just make it only with basil if you want to use it just as decoration.

By the way, why dont you make a pesto sauce? i can get you the recipe if you want, it is a really nice and flavoured sauce that has the consistency of a puree if you want.

Happy cooking

10. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yes indeed, the stiff jellified result will turn in a gel after mixing it and you will be able to pipe it from a plastic bottle. Put the bottle with content in  warm water if you want to reheat it.

Many times gels like this are made in a Thermomix which heats and can mix extremely finely at the same time. Maybe you have one of those machines in your kitchen?

11. sissi

sissi

Exp:
    At home cook
    Good morning! This is my first post. I have never participated in forums before

12. sissi

sissi

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'm italian girl and my english is bad :(

13. sissi

sissi

Exp:
    At home cook
    But i like cooking and i would like to participate in the forum

14. sissi

sissi

Exp:
    At home cook
    I agree on the "pesto idea". 

If you don't like the pesto taste, you can use pine nuts to improve the consistency (like puree).

15. sissi

sissi

Exp:
    At home cook
    or walnuts

16. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    BINGO.  (But it is spelled Xanthan, which I only mention in case someone tries googleing it.)

17. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    lol XD thanks for spell check edited it now 

18. lsklsk

lsklsk

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    i want some thing like this :

he is using something named gelcream cold that we dont have here.i need it to taste like fresh basil(not cooked)and rich and really smooth.

tnx

19. lsklsk

lsklsk

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    ill try this one and will inform you

tnx

20. lsklsk

lsklsk

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    i dont think i can find xanthan gum here :(

the basil is not the key.actually i just need a rich,smooth,green herb puree to get contrast on  my dishes in the restaurant:)