barely cooking

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by redace1960, Jun 22, 2005.

1. redace1960

redace1960

yesterday the better half brought home a 1/2 flat of perfectly ripe strawberries still warm from the field which i washed, cored and set to macerate in a simple syrup using blended and strained strawberries as the liquid. and that was it. sugar, strawberries one hour from the plant; yet what i ended up with i'd proudly serve to any one of you. (kind of impressed myself, actually.) i'm on a less is more, finest ingredients kick-my food resolution for this year- and it's paying off BIG. any of you have favorite simple recipes, the type where the sum ends up much greater than the parts???? i want to hear about them!

2. mangilao30

mangilao30

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    A perfectly ripe pineapple goes really well with a bit of simple syrup, and a chiffonade of mint leaves, let chill for about and hour and eat plain or with a fruit sorbet.

My hubby loves ripe peeled peaches with red wine and superfine sugar.

3. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Pico de Gallo... does that count?
    Just tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, cilantro and lime juice. Sometimes I stick some carrots in there.

OR, just plain tomatoes from the garden with or without a little salt (usually doesn't need it).

4. hipjoint

hipjoint

responding to your preposition that simple is better ...

how much simpler is sashimi? especially if you caught the fish yourself
    and you bleed and gut the fish immediately and chill on salt water slush.
    when the fish is chilled slightly, slice and eat. no salt, no pepper, no
    cooking!!

same goes for picking your own oysters, opening them, then down the hatch
    with just a splash of tabasco.

another simple pleasure? a great rib steak, a mere sprinkling of fleur de sel,
    then searing one side in a smoking hot cast iron pan, flipping once, then
    finishing in a 325 degree oven till medium rare. a few sprinkles with fresh
    cracked pepper and yeeeooooooow!! good eats!!

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Pesto made with garden-fresh basil is one of the greatest no-cook sauces. With a food processor, it's a two-minute masterpiece.

6. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A few months ago, the head chef said he needed an oriental mustard dip for egg rolls that were going out on a banquet. I took some French's yellow mustard and added some sesame oil and sriracha to it. The members love it and the cooks love it. Now every time we need some, I have to make it. Even though I tell them it's only 3 ingredients and explain the MOP, they claim I need to write the recipe down for them.
    Pinche cocineros!

7. chinds85

chinds85

I love things like this. This is a personal favorite of mine, though some might cringe: A dense wheaty bread, onion, mustard, and a good mild cheddar. I have all of them separated on a plate... no assembly required. ;)

Sometimes I'll throw in some summer sausage or even some cooked sausage. My german heritage really shines through in my eating habits. =D That and its easy, because after a night on the line I rarely want to do much cooking for myself.

Before I discovered the previous grouping of tastes, my first love was tabasco lightly spackled over some corn chips with a thin slice of cheese to cool me down.

But I'm done describing my embarassing eating habits. :chef: