Banh Xeo: Some Progress

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
The Banh Xeo bug bit me again. Tried a recipe with similar ratios to above, but called for the whole can of coconut milk and less water. Nice to not have leftover coconut milk.  More curry and turmeric. 

Used MillionsKnives recommendation for a test crepe. Thinned out the batter some more after the test. 

Batter was thin enough to tilt around the pan and not be gummy to eat because the crepe is thin. I think for the next time I'll go for a somewhat crisper crepe which is mostly about longer lower cooking and maybe a bit more oil.

I did use a brand new bag of rice flour. I'm wondering if maybe my earlier bag was mislabeled glutinous rice flour? That could explain my issues. 

Certainly my best batch yet. 

Joined Oct 9, 2008
With ordinary crepes, the first one is always terrible. I've heard French people remark that the first crepe is for the dog. How many of these things do you make in a "batch"?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
In collecting requests for Christmas dinner, my daughter picked banh xeo which got a stir of interest out of the rest my family as well. Might be making it again soon.

She called it 'that egg vegetable thing wrapped in lettuce' which took me a bit to figure out. It looks like egg but it's rice flour so I was confused.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I used cheflaynes recommended long batter soak time today. And a bit more oil in the pan. Came out pretty good. Nice bubbling, a little more toasty. Still pretty fragile in the turn. Should use a smaller pan next time.

IMG_20210721_171952933.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom