Banana Nut Muffins - How to Maintain Crunchy Top

Joined Dec 3, 2008
I love Ina Garten's recipe for Banana Crunch Muffins because of the nice crunchy top (granola) but once the muffins have been put in a sealed container moisture always finds it's way into the top and it becomes soft and chewy like the rest of the muffin. I've read where adding some saltines to the container can help but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a better, more effective way?

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Most home baked goods have a short shelf life.
When I am just treating myself I either ratio a smaller batch of whatever or force the extras on the neighborhood kids.

mimi

Joined Feb 8, 2009
I make homemade granola. I noticed my granola getting soft after a few days on sealed bags. I put a paper towel in the bags and it helped keep it crunchy. There is already lot of moisture in the muffins. Try placing a paper towel over the top of the muffins and then seal the container. Does the granola have a crunch after it comes out of the oven and allowed to cool ??????? There's also a lot of moisture in granola if it isn't crunchy to begin with. I know a lot of moisture comes out of mine when I'm baking it.....

Top Bottom