Baking with lard

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I'm going to bake a salted caramel apple pie with lard. Does the lard have to be cold? I've only baked with lard once before and I don't remember liking it but thought I'd give it another try.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Cold is better than room temperature. Especially if you are doing gluten free crust which is very difficult to handle.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Store bought lard is hydrogenated for shelf stability. If you can find rendered leaf lard that is the best. As with any pastry your ingredients should to be well chilled. Are you using a food proc to start the crust?

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Store bought lard is hydrogenated for shelf stability. If you can find rendered leaf lard that is the best. As with any pastry your ingredients should to be well chilled. Are you using a food proc to start the crust?

I've heard this before. I have no idea where to find such lard, I just found a box at my local grocery store and picked it up on a whim. Yes I use a food processor to make the crust.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
There is a butcher shop in Brooklyn called "The Meat Hook" give them a call they might be able to help, or at least steer you in a direction.

http://the-meathook.com/

Looks like Wholefoods carries it as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom