Baking tools

Joined Jun 21, 2020
Hiya I'm a Product Designer and amateur baker,

I was wondering are there any parts of baking you hate doing that could be improved with some tool, or an app, even the simplest of things that make you go oh that's a pain, let me know and we can hopefully come up with solutions and make our baking lives even more fun

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
A scale that can SCAN a recipe and figure out the additions and weights in order, then walk your through the additions. Probably a phone app with a bluetooth/wifi connection to the scale. Bonus points if the scan will output raw ascii text of the recipe for easy porting to other apps. You'll need a way to stitch the scan across columns and page turns. Will convert from volume to weights as well.

A magnetic and heat powered steam attachment for regular ovens. No batteries, probably no screen, so likely a dial interface for steam volume and timing. will provide the desired steam. Magnetic so it's easy to attach, and detach for filling. Rust/corrosion proof, Very High Heat Tolerance. Not picky about perfect level. Best first Guess: Will use pre-heat of oven to pressurize the system to spray water into steam.

A better way to go from rise to hot vessel for no-knead breads.

Joined Nov 9, 2020
A magnetic and heat powered steam attachment for regular ovens. No batteries, probably no screen, so likely a dial interface for steam volume and timing. will provide the desired steam. Magnetic so it's easy to attach, and detach for filling. Rust/corrosion proof, Very High Heat Tolerance. Not picky about perfect level. Best first Guess: Will use pre-heat of oven to pressurize the system to spray water into steam..

I have fought this for years in my home oven... My solution is to have a cast iron pan in the bottom, and prime everything to temp, dump water on it, and try to time it to the quantity of water I put in, to keep the steam going AND temps up. But it is by no means even close to good... workable, but it's nothing like having live steam injection like on a real oven. It'd be cool if someone came up with something like this for all the newbie home bakers (thaks to sourdough) to convert their semi-ancient General Electric or Modern Maid or Monarch electric ovens to something equating a real baking oven... Convection capable would be a doubleplus. WITHOUT fubarring the curlicue nichrome wire elements that are rampant in these home-use ovens...

There's your challenge if you're up to it.

Top Bottom