Baking mini cheesecakes in multiple trays

Joined Jul 17, 2020
HI! I have started my business a few months ago and I am moving to a commercial kitchen with a convection oven. From all of my products, my biggest concerns are the cheesecakes. Can you achieve consistency baking multiple trays at once?

I currently bake them at my home oven (electric, not convection) at 325F. When I do mini cheesecakes (2 in diameter), I use 2x 12-cavities pan, one next to the other, and rotate them halfway through cooking because of my oven's hot spots.

Now going to a commercial kitchen I'll have a five-tray Blodgett convection oven that can only be set between low and high fan. I am wondering if I can use all 5 trays to bake multiple batches of cheesecakes at once and also if I should lower the temperature to 300F because convection ovens distribute the heater better.

Thank you!

Joined Apr 25, 2017
You will definitely want to lower the temperature. You may need to play with it to see what temp your cheesecakes like best, but 300 is a good start. We found some of our mini tarts do better at 290 (low fan).

You can use all of the racks, but you may need to switch racks when you rotate depending on how long they bake. It sounds like a lot, but after you've done a few batches, muscle memory will make it easy and fast to do.

If you are still using the smaller pans, you can place them side by side on a full sheet to make it easier to switch them around.

If you make enough that it is worth it, I highly recommend the Chicago Metallic 35 cup pan.

Joined Jul 17, 2020
You will definitely want to lower the temperature. You may need to play with it to see what temp your cheesecakes like best, but 300 is a good start. We found some of our mini tarts do better at 290 (low fan).

You can use all of the racks, but you may need to switch racks when you rotate depending on how long they bake. It sounds like a lot, but after you've done a few batches, muscle memory will make it easy and fast to do.

If you are still using the smaller pans, you can place them side by side on a full sheet to make it easier to switch them around.

If you make enough that it is worth it, I highly recommend the Chicago Metallic 35 cup pan.

Thank you for your reply! I'll come back here and post how it goes once I've tested.

I use chicago metallic pans (12 cavities with removable bottoms). I don't think they make a bigger size with removable bottoms, I googled the 35 you mentioned and only found a muffin pan.

I'm hoping that I won't have to rotate on the commercial oven. Is it still the case in your experience?

Thank you!

Joined Jul 17, 2020
HI all, just to share what I did...

First day at the commercial kitchen was very (as expected) chaotic. Even lowering the oven temperature to 300, it baked waaaaay too fast.

So I did such a simple thing that I don't know how I didn't think of that before. I bought an oven thermometer (I only had a probe, not oven safe), and measure my oven's temperature. I discovered that in convection mode the temperature was pretty accurate, but on normal mode I was actually baking between 25F to 40F less than the temperature shown. So in reality I was baking my cheesecake crust at 310F (instead of 350 as I thought) and the cheesecake at 290F instead of 325F.

Then I measured the temperature of the new oven and it was pretty straightforward.

So, if anybody ever wonder: yes, it is possible to bake cheesecakes in a convection oven and in multiple trays.

I'm now baking 10 trays at once (120 mini cheesecakes) and am planning to buy another 10 so I can do 20 at a time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom