Baking and Pastry schools in Vancouver BC

Discussion in 'Choosing A Culinary School' started by linddagenais, Jan 8, 2012.

1. linddagenais

linddagenais

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello there,

I am a 19 year old female looking to go to school for baking and pastry in Vancouver BC. I know there are a few schools such as: AI,PICA,VCC,Northwest and Vancouver Island University offers a program as well. I do know that AI and PICA are the more expensive schools, and VCC and Northwest are a bit cheaper. Im not quite sure about VIU though.. Money isnt a huge issue since I can get a student loan, I just care about my education :).  I do know that there are good schools out of province but then the housing gets expensive. I appreciate your comments and opinions so feel free to leave anything !

Happy baking/cooking,

Lindsay  

2. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Money should always be an issue, whether out of your pocket or a loan!

Have you worked in the baking/pastry business? If not, get a job and work for a year before trying to decide on a school.

Have you looked into apprenticeships? That's a way of getting paid for your education.

are you familiar with all the requirements for the Red Seal program?

3. linddagenais

linddagenais

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Well it is an issue but not a huge one.. like it wont affect my opinion on what school I want to go to. I am concerned if I'll be getting a good education mostly. I do work in a bakery at the moment, and I really like it. I have thought about an apprenticeship but im not quite sure where to exactly find one. I do know that some schools offer them after graduation though. Its a hard choice choosing a school.

4. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    To accomplish that, you need to define what you want to learn before worrying about where to learn.

Rephrasing, do you want to learn:
    • the trade of baking and pastries, i.e. how to mix, prepare, bake goods, or
    • the management of a bakery/patisserie, or
    • the marketing involved, or
    • the fundamentals of ownership.
    Each of the above necessitates different curricula for effective training and knowing one does not always lead to another /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

So, do you want to:
    • Do
    • MANAGE
    • SELL
    • OWN
    ????