Baking a frozen, chicken-filled puff pastry roll

Joined Aug 29, 2000
I recently made a dinner entree with a filling of cooked chicken, vegetables, and a very light veloute sauce. I put the cooled filling in puff pastry, gave it an egg wash, and baked it for a nice supper. Since I had enough filling and the package had two pastry sheets, I froze the second roll unbaked (without the egg wash).

Now I'd like to give this second roll to a friend whose husband recently died so she and her daughter can have a nice meal. What instructions should I give her for baking this frozen entree? I would guess it should be baked from the frozen state but I'm not sure how to balance puffing the pastry with heating the dense filling through.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Wow. Tough one. Ideally one would thaw and bake. Maybe thaw it a couple of days in the fridge?

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Well, since the filling was fully cooked prior to freezing there isn't a risk with that. I think @kuan is spot on. I can't see any other way to promise good results since puff pastry has to have high heat to work. A day or two in the fridge should be perfectly safe!

Joined Sep 21, 2010
You could also treat it like a frozen chicken pie with a puff pastry lid. I've baked them from frozen, though it doesn't puff as well as baking from fresh.
Here are instructions from a chicken pot pie recipe --
To bake from frozen, preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C), and bake for 30 minutes with the foil on top. Remove the foil and bake for another 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Top Bottom