Bakery prep question

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by magpie, May 26, 2005.

1. magpie

magpie

Exp:
    At home cook
    I know that restaurants have prep cooks, but what would the equivalent of this be for a pastry shop or bakery...would it still be called prep cook? I want to get some experience working in a bake shop but have very little industry experience so am wondering what should I be asking when I go in to look for entry level jobs? Any help would be appreciated! :confused:

2. magpie

magpie

Exp:
    At home cook
    Anyone????? :(

3. headless chicken

headless chicken

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I don't think bake shops have a prep crew as everything is to be done once all the ingredients is measured out.

4. nicholas

nicholas

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    How about applying as an apprentice?
    Explain your interest, and ask that you be given a chance to learn the ways of expanding dough and crusty bread.
    Make sure that the person in charge is clear of your plans on how long you'll be working for him.
    I'd imagine some people may not like the idea of training someone, only to lose them later.
    Just a thought.

5. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    pastry cook, pastry prep.

6. headless chicken

headless chicken

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Nicholas has a good point. Try apprenticeship. Closest thing I can think of to low ranks in a bakery shop would be bread maker. Breads tend to be more forgiving in a bakery amongst everything else they make IMO.

7. magpie

magpie

Exp:
    At home cook
    I think the apprenticeship idea is great. I tried the ACF in my area and apparently they do not have apprenticeships in Maine. So I guess I am on my own as far as setting one up. I am still going to try and find something that pays (so I can make extra money to afford school! :) ) But in the mean time atleast if I do an apprenticeship I will be getting experience and making contacts. Thanks for all the advice. :)