Baker's Ammonia

Joined Aug 23, 2004
I want to make cookies and for that I need baker's ammonia. I don't know any brand of edible ammonia. Can somebody please tell me the brand name of any baker's ammonia? Is it a powder or a liquid? Please guide me on this.

Thanks

Varsha

Joined May 26, 2001
Welcome, Varsha! :D

I moved your question to this board because our bakers know everything about baking ingredients! :chef:

Joined Jul 28, 2001
Amonium bicarbonate (that may be wrong)is usually available at bakery supply co. Be careful when using.
We used to haze the rookies buy opening a 10# bucket and fake smelling, then asking the rookie to take a big wiff to see if it was alright. They usually hit the floor in a matter of seconds. This is such a cruel industry(proud to be a part of it)"talking 30yrs ago" :D :eek:

Joined Jul 30, 2004
Will someone tell me what this is and what it's used for? I've never heard of it! Thanks in advance!

Joined Sep 22, 2004
We used to do the same thing to our apprentices...heck, they did it to me when i was apprentacing. Nowadays, the only thing i use Amonium for is in some biscotti recepies although i've seen some of the more "old school" chefs using it still in their Pate a Choux.

Latest posts

Top Bottom