Baked Cod

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by gbhunter, Jul 31, 2005.

1. gbhunter

gbhunter

I was making baked cod, and i was left with several pieces of cod that were to small to bake. Any suggestions on what I could use them for instead of throwing them out? Also anyone have a really good sauce that would go with this? Thanks! :) :chef:

2. katbalou

katbalou

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    fish chowder. cod nantucket - pieces baked in a casserole dish w/a slice of onion and bacon on top.

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Beer batter and fry those puppies!!!

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Two excellent suggestions.

Of course theres always Brandade de Moroue ;)

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    CC, can you make that with fresh cod? I've seen recipes with salt cod (including Julia's recipe) but never fresh. Great idea! Some thoughts from a home cook:

Seviche
    Add more seafood and make cioppino
    Latin seafood "cocktail"
    Quenelles (although these are usually made with pike, right??)
    Mousse for a terrine

6. pierre

pierre

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    gbhunter,
    i've got a good use for those little pieces. what i do is make a simple fish soup. here's the idea:

+ saute some fresh summer veggies until tender (zucchini, squash, carrots, anything you like) and garlic, ginger, onions, etc.
    + s&p
    + add water or chicken stock (if you have the fish caucases you can make a fish stock)
    + once boiling drop the fish into the soup, turn off heat and let the fish cook through

it's really simple and very tasty. infact, that's exactly what i'm having for dinner tonight since i had quite a productive day on the ocean yesterday :)

7. gbhunter

gbhunter

Well I made the Cod a rather simple way. I laid it in lemon juice and let it soak for a few min, and then I seared it. Lastly I bread it in flower, egg and breadcrumbs then baked it. This was the first time I had cod. It is an almost tasteless fish is it not? Plus I do not think the fish I got was the freshest of the bunch. My wife did not care for it too much she said it was too lemony. LOL on the other hand my mom loved it :confused:
    But is cod really almost tasteless? I’m used to fish like salmon that hold their own. But I never tried anything outside of that. :eek: :chef:

8. redace1960

redace1960

its definitely not as strongly flavored as salmon, but it shouldnt be tasteless.
    white fishes each have their own distinct flavor...and if it's old, boy, you'll REALLY taste it. was it frozen then drained? that'll kill the taste. so will soaking in cold water, or rinsing and squeezing. not dissing you; those are old school ways of treating fish and a lot of folks still do it. throwback to the days of suspect freshness.

9. alaskachef

alaskachef

make fish salad put your fish in a small pan on top of the stove with alittle water and steam it till done. then cool it and ad , mayo ,minced onion ,black pepper, pickle relish , or not depends on your taste, its great on crackers or as a sandwich.

10. kaylinda

kaylinda

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    My first thought was to fry it...but you could also bake it....then toss it in some fettuccini alfredo with some small shrimp and some crab making yourself a delightful "Seafood Alfredo".