Bagels, Lox and Cream Cheese oh my!!!!

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by chefross, Sep 16, 2017.

1. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I have to share this one folks.........
    Jewish comfort is great. Being location-ally deprived I enjoy it whenever I can.
    I found myself at a "Big Apple Bagels" and had a taste for a toasted bagel with cream cheese, lox, and red onion.
    Apparently the cashier was new. She took my order, I paid and backed away to wait.
    I see the cashier go to a fellow worker and hear her ask...."What are lox?" Her fellow worker said "raw fish."
    The cashier said....and I quote..."Ewwwww people actually eat this? I'm not touching raw fish."
    As I waited my cashier started helping others and left my sandwich to be made by someone else.

I loved my bagel sandwich but found this truly amusing.

drirene likes this.
  2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Apparently thecashier was both new and a bit ignorant. Lox isn't raw, it's smoked/cured.

Your story is indeed rather amusing in that "OMG, can this person be taken seriously " sort of way.

That's one of my favorite breakfasts... But I also like capers on mine.

3. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I am blessed to have this place about 540 feet away from my door, according to the Map My Walk app on my phone.

https://bagelproject.com/

Their "Lox and Loaded" is REALLY good, the trout and truffle is probably my favorite. It features a fried egg, pickled asparagus, very tasty smoked trout from Beltex Meats ( Their retail shop is a block to the south) and some other stuff.

A bagel shop where she didn't know about lox? Wow.

mjb.

4. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This doesn't amaze me at all! Lox's really don't look smoked, they look raw. This is just poor training on the managers part. Most kids nowadays wouldn't know a Lox and Bagel & Cream cheese sandwich from a Knish. A good bagel is an art. Most people in the America didn't grow up eating good bread or bagels. The East Coast was a mecca for great baked bagels. I look forward to my upcoming trip to NYC to have some of these treasures. My first will be finding a Knish from a street truck.....