Bagel Crustiness

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I am wondering why the bottom's of my bagels end up crusting up so much during baking. The recipe %s I use are below:

100% High-gluten Flour

63.8% Water (Tap)

0.8% Active Yeast

2.4% Kosher Salt

1.1% Malt Powder

1.5% White Sugar

I use the sponge method and let sit at room temp for an hour or so and then sit over-night in fridge. In the morning, mix for about 10 minutes until satiny-smooth and tacky. Let double and then place in fridge until next morning. Take out dough and let it come to room temp (about 1 hour). Pre-heat oven to 550.

Divide dough and use rope method to make bagel and let sit for about 15 minutes. Boil in water (with 1 tblsp of Baking soda) for about 2 minutes (1 each side). Remove, seed and salt.

Place on half sheet with silpat and place in oven on baking stone and reduce temp to 500. Bake for 5 min and then turn reduce oven temp to 450 for 20 min. Turn off oven and let sit for 5 min. Remove and place on wire rack.

Any ideas?

I though initially it was sugar in the water so I eliminated using molasses or malt syrup.

Joined Jul 28, 2001
jayrod,

Maybe your ambient temp is going down but the stone may be causing the bottom to remain the same.??

curious

jeff

rat

Joined Mar 2, 2006
When you mean turning after 5 minutes does that mean you are flipping them over or turning the pan?

One thing to consider would be making some bagel boards, they work much better than just a silpat IMO.

That would definitely help with the crusty problem you are having.

Also seems like a lot of oven time to me, when I was doing bagels it was 550 the whole time and not more than 8-10 minutes in the oven for a 4 oz. portion.

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Yes. I turn the pan, not the bagels. Haven't heard of bagel boards before....have to check that out. I will try reducing the cooking time and see how they turn out.

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Take 2: Same steps except for baking times. 500 for 5 minutes. 450 for about 7min. Bagels were definitely not crusty, but this time were too squishy. I will try to bake longer at 500 this weekend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom