Bagel and Bread Bases

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by chefmurphy, Oct 27, 2011.

1. chefmurphy

chefmurphy

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    The owner of the bakery that I work at has purchased some bread and bagel bases.  I make a wonderful bread from scratch, but I am having problems getting these to turn out.  The dough is usually very stiff and the end result is a brick and not bread.  Is there anyone out there that can give me some assistance?

Thanks

Chef Murphy

2. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Hey Chef,

Most of these mixes are designed to perform like gun powder. Get a hold of the brands tech. They will usually guide you to addatives that work well

with their mixes. It's also unbelievable that they will usually also carry/make  these products! If they had to add relaxers and conditioners it would not only be expensive but would turn off lots of customers. HTH

Pan

Do you have a h2o chiller tap? These bases usually require very cold water.

3. chefmurphy

chefmurphy

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Thank you for the help.  I know some of them have a H2O temp on them, and some don't.  I follow the directions to a "T".  I just feel very stupid when they don't turn out.  But it would make sense for them to make a mediocre product just so you have to buy more to make it turn out.  

I think I will vote for making it all from scratch...she was just trying to save me time and money.  But it isn't worth the frustration and lack of quality.

Chef Murphy