Bacon skin crackling

Joined Apr 25, 2014
How do I do it? I made a dry cured bacon with a coffee rub. Skin on for yield reasons. Usually I just use the skin like ham hocks in soup.

But I have a craving for cracklings and a belief that bacon skin cracklings could be even better than normal ones. What's the best way? Oven? Dehydrate and deep fry?

Last edited:
Joined Mar 1, 2017
Any of those methods will work. But, I find the following to give the most crunch.

Cut the skin into chunks. Place them into a heavy skillet with just enough water to cover them. Simmer on med-low for about 45min to an hour or until the fat has rendered out and the water is gone. If the water evaporates out before all the fat is rendered, just add more water. You can also season the water if you want to add some flavor. Once all the fat has rendered and they're crunchy, remove from the pan and drain on some paper towels. Afterwards, you can flash fry them for some extra crunch in 450'f oil. . I do mine in a wok with peanut oil over a commercial grade wok range I installed in my backyard grilling arena. :) Grandkids love em.

Don't forget to save that rendered fat. Its pure gold!

Cheers!

Joined Apr 25, 2014
Any of those methods will work. But, I find the following to give the most crunch.

Cut the skin into chunks. Place them into a heavy skillet with just enough water to cover them. Simmer on med-low for about 45min to an hour or until the fat has rendered out and the water is gone. If the water evaporates out before all the fat is rendered, just add more water. You can also season the water if you want to add some flavor. Once all the fat has rendered and they're crunchy, remove from the pan and drain on some paper towels. Afterwards, you can flash fry them for some extra crunch in 450'f oil. . I do mine in a wok with peanut oil over a commercial grade wok range I installed in my backyard grilling arena. :) Grandkids love em.

Don't forget to save that rendered fat. Its pure gold!

Cheers!
Will it get puffy this way?

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Don't break a tooth - just sayin'. Is that a Munetoshi butcher knife in that picture??

Joined Apr 25, 2014
Don't break a tooth - just sayin'. Is that a Munetoshi butcher knife in that picture??
Basically yes. It's an itonomonn butcher. Same blacksmith. JNS discontinued the itinomonn line and started munetoshi. The gyuto are very different but the butcher knives are exactly the same.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Good to know - I had an Itinomonn gyuto a couple of years ago. It is an excellent knife I sold it to a friend of mine.

Top Bottom