back to basics

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by redace1960, Apr 26, 2005.

1. redace1960

redace1960

since reading and posting here I've become rather appalled by just how utterly untrained I am. what skills I have I picked up in the few kitchens I worked in, and from reading and television...so I've just gone merrily on, turning out the eats without giving much thought to it as long as the result tasted good. i'm not looking for a career; i'm looking for a center to what i do, or at least a structure to base that on. one of the things i want is FLAWLESS BASIC SKILLS.
    keeperofthegood pointed me in the direction of escoffier (which i had somehow convinced myself was no longer available on this planet) and so i'm busy trying to hook up to a copy of that-they don't have it at the library; people keep stealing it! so i'm bidding online.
    everyones suggestions, musings, directives, ideas and etc are welcome and needed!!! books? videos? cd roms? other forums......?

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Another site with which I've been associated in the past has a FREE online culinary institute -- with a huge variety of courses (Stock-making; Egg cookery; Smoking; Cooking for and with people with disabilities; and on and on). The courses begin with an illustrated lecture, often including homework assignments, and then the floor is open to questions and discussion. The only hitch is that to participate in the discussion, you must be registered on the site. But it is well worth going through that in order to participate fully; if you only want to lurk, you certainly may, and you will still learn a huge amount.

IIRC, ChefTalk's G-Squared was one of the founders of the eGullet Culinary Institute. He's moved on, but the courses and instruction are still excellent.

3. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

Thank you!

:D

For me, the only modern text I want is a current copy of the Larousse Gastronomique. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...99237?v=glance

That is in terms of "want". I will buy any cookbooks resonably priced from yard sales and flea markets, especially when the seller is offering a bulk deal. Regardless of wheather or not they are of any value to me personally. They become barter items for the select volumes I do want that have value to me.

Otherwise, what I specifically look for are books published pre 1900, or are reprints of books published pre 1900 with only a few exceptions. Noteably texts on heirloom fruits and vegtables and beans. I also like to collect those shamless advertising texts pre 1970. And annecdotal books, the uncle in a cabin type stories of bush living and cooking.

Its all in where you want your focus. Me, I am slowly working back in time in understanding the change in food and its production. The last few years with wife and kids has been rather hectic, but as it settles down I want to become involved with groups such as the Society for Creative Anachronism www.sca.org

:D well that is me in particular. Hope this helps give you some ideas for your own self.