Baby Juice

Joined Jan 9, 2002
Ok, maybe this is terribly off-topic and totally beneath everyone's know-how, but I'll give it a shot anyway! :p
I'm the happy and horrified owner of a food processor that has a juicer thingy. If I'm going to try out this juicer, I'm going to make a big batch and freeze it in ice cube portions like I do with breast milk. My baby is now at an age that I can introduce her to juices, but the only one that comes to mind is apple juice. (I think OJ isn't a good idea at 9 months, but I may be wrong) Anyone know how long frozen juice keeps? Any other juice ideas? TIA!

Joined Dec 6, 2001
Be careful with the juices, your baby doesnt need them right now and once they taste the sweetness of juice, you wont get as much milk in. When my boys were little (less than 10yrs ago) my pediatrician said juice not necessary at all till 18mon and to use water instead before then. He said even as toddler to give juice sparingly, so I only gave juice at snack time. Milk/water all other times. As a result, my kids are not big juice drinkers (they drink tons of water and love it!)and I am glad cuz too much juice makes them not eat other good stuff they need and its very bad on baby's teeth. Even 100% juices are very high in natural sugars. Ask your doctor for his opinion. Be sure not to let baby sleep with bottle of any kind...my brother is a dentist!

Joined Jan 9, 2002
I have to agree- not that I think juices are bad, but you're probably better off giving baby water for now.

My four year old asks for water all the time. If I don't have any filtered water on hand, sometimes I'll offer her juice or (bad mommy!) kool aid, just cause it's easier. She's very cool- she says "No! I want WATER." I've never met another kid who turned down juice or Koolaid for water. I love it. :)

Joined Jan 9, 2002
*sigh* I was sooo looking forward to playing with my new toy. What else can I use a juicer for?

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
So glad you ask that question Terri. I received a juice extractor for Christmas and beside making a variety of, sometime weird, juice I also have been using the leftover pulp. You can dry the pulp in a low oven, and once dry grind it to a fine powder. So far I have carrot and celery. I hope to make beet powder this weekend to be used as a die.

You must wonder what you can do with all that powder. I have used the carrot powder to sweeten tomato sauce. Mushroom powder is fantastic to give taste to stock. Celery powder is very flavourful, specially if you use the leaves. it's good in stock and sauce.

To make powder, I spread the pulp as thinly as possible on a silpat and put it in a 200°F for about 40 minutes then reduce to heat to 150°F for about 60 to 90 minutes.

I should say the idea comes from Thomas Keller's The French Laundry. Of powder he says:

Joined Jan 9, 2002
Wow! You guys are great! Thank you so much!

Question: what's a silpat? Maybe I already have it and just know the German term, otherwise I'll need to know what I'm looking for.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
A silpat is a silicone mat that is place on the bottom of a baking sheet or mould. It is a non stick surface. If you don't have one, try using parchement paper.

Joined Oct 16, 2001
there is a book by dr walker he is the man on juice.remember that your baby does not have all the digestive acids present and in the quantity needed so use only alkaline based ones and mix them carefully. freezing them is ok but it no longer has all those wonderful qualities present when freshly pressed . good luck.

Joined Dec 30, 1999
Silpats are wonderful, they come in many different sizes and I've seen them from $15.00 to $30.00. I love mine.

:bounce:

Top Bottom