Baby cries in fancy restaurant, Twitter war ensues

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pollopicu, Jan 24, 2014.

1. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    http://www.examiner.com/article/baby-cries-fancy-restaurant-twitter-war-ensues

[​IMG]

2. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I think society (i know asking too much) should be more compassionate. 

At the end of the day , i ain´t getting a refund and my sitter quit, well then the child will have to come along or i would have wasted some cash...

Im already against their policy , if they really want to avoid these situations i think it´s time they think about wether or not giving back full refunds should be considered a valid option. 

Those clients probably wont go back... 

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  3. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I think spell checker changed your intended word "compassionate" to 'comprehensive'.  If you meant that society should have more compassion I totally agree.  In this case, though, I think the restaurant should be more realistic.  What the heck -- buy a ticket that is non-transferable.  How utterly restrictive... although part of me understandings that there may be workload and "security" factors underlaying that decision.  But if I had a ticket and was going to lose significant amount of money I'd bring my kids and do everything within my control to keep them from degrading the experience of other diners.  But there could be no guarantee that they wouldn't squawk, squeak, or squirm.

4. dillbert

dillbert Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    >>Those clients probably wont go back...

>> and do everything within my control to keep them from degrading the experience of other diners.  But there could be no guarantee that they wouldn't squawk, squeak, or squirm.

veddy interistink...

in the first case one client couple won't go back
    in the second case an entire restaurant of clients won't go back because the joint allows crying babies and/or 3-5 year old brats running around the tables to turn the entire place into dining havoc, at $500 a plate.....

what, pray tell Mr. Owner, would be your choice?

here's an idea:

folks with babies/brats who may need to cancel at the last minute can buy "dining insurance" - cancel, costs you a couple hundred.

folks who are no longer subject to babysitters getting a hot date need not worry about "insuring" their presence.  if you get hit by a bus and killed, well, a non-refundable dinner ticket likely be not the biggest issue.

5. thecytochromec

thecytochromec

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Perhaps the guests could have shown compassion for others that attended the diner that evening by canceling their dinner plans. Why ruin every diner's experience when you can cull the one noisy table? A plane ride is one thing, movie theaters and diners are different.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  6. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I agree... compassion should go both ways.  My children are not babies anymore and when they were we picked-and-chose which restaurants we would take them to.  Once, in a family style BBQ, we were subjected to lots of abuse from a neighboring table because the little tyke was cooing.  Not crying, not banging, but cooing.  That jackass even directly threatened my kid with a spanking.  Not for crying and not for banging, but for cooing.  Talk about one angry old fart!  We now take our kids to fine dining since the youngest is 10 and has a fine palate that is WAY more sophisticated than most pre-teens.  He is also exceptionally well behaved, but at recently we had some nosey busy-body neighbor "talking to each other" about how rude and crude he is because he was playing a computer game (no audio) at the dinner table.  What's it to them... and how is that any different than when they pulled out their cell phones to text?  Anyway...

If the child in Atchatz's restaurant really was crying non-stop, they should have voluntarily left with their dinner in a to-go bag.

BTW, in my earlier post I seem to have mis-read the part about selling/giving Alinea dinner tickets.  "… Alinea does allow diners to sell or giveaway their diner tickets, which must be booked weeks, even months, in advance." so I apologize for suggesting that they are restrictive... it appears they make reasonable accommodation for folks who have a need to change their plans.

7. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    p.s.  I feel the same way about noisy drunk college kids... they should either sty in the bar or leave when they get out of control.  :)

8. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Sounds like an interesting business opportunity for someone in the insurance industry!

Maybe there should also be a policy available for intolerant old folks so if they are annoyed by other diners, or can't chew their steak, or get constipated the next day... they can get their money back.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  9. dillbert

dillbert Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    >>Maybe there should also be a policy available for intolerant old folks so if they are annoyed by other diners, or can't chew their steak, or get constipated the next day... they can get their money back.

fine dining, especially in a high(er) end joint, does not include such antics.  by definition.

I have walked out of "fine dining" brat infested restaurants in mid-bite.  and told the manager on the way out, I'm not paying for this environment and here's my card, sue me.

nor do I lack the teeth to chew.

nor am I prone to constipation.

you take a child into a high end joint and the kid winds up disturbing / disrupting  some/most/all of the other patrons, you're in the wrong joint; the babies are innocent.  the brats are a result of poor parenting.

and yes, I got kids.  and no, I don't take predictably screaming babies and uncontrolled brats to nice eateries.

10. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    To me there is only ONE kind of valid distraction to diners. Sound.

(Well unless maybe someone comes in whol stinks.) Visual aint gonna

cut it, because diners are perfectly capable of not looking at something that

they find distracting. The exceptions would be flash photography and

things actually distasteful, such as a violation of the dress code. Dress

code and no flash are usually house rules, and should therefore be enforced.

Same with children, if theres a house rule prohibiting them, its up to the client

to abide by it, though the establishment is free to make allowances.

Also maybe  it's time to start drawing up a legal and binding

contract between babysitters and parents for services to be rendered./img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

11. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    >>

I wasn't referring to you, specifically, Dilbert.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

12. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Grant Achatz is a disciple of Thomas Keller. Alinea is very much like the French Laundry. The tickets are very expensive. The face-value is rarely the bottom line. Now whereas they are not very difficult to unload, given the time, they could be very very difficult to at the last minute. For the situation as a whole, in general, considering all things involved, for both sides of the coin ... I think that if the parents called as soon as they knew their babysitter bailed out, arrangements could have been made to accommodate them differently to solve the problem. They could have been given a new date or a different seating location, either of which could have helped defuse this problem a little bit. Knowing the restaurant involved, there is no worry whatsoever that because of this problem there will ever be any empty seats. It would have been even more fun if this incident happened at Next, another Achatz experience.

13. fannie

fannie

Exp:
    At home cook
    This is a hard topic.  Yes you want others to have a nice dinner, that is what they are paying for. Yet it is not right that the babysitter cancelled on them on such short notice.  I guess I can see it either way.

14. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I bet if they had called the restaurant and explained the situation ... most of this could have been avoided.

Honestly, there are many possible solutions and when 2 sides work together they are easily found.

15. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Sorry, Achatz. A dinner, even at your storied restaurant, is NOT a concert or a play. 

Dining, even fine dining, is a social affair. The whole experience is an interplay between diners, servers, chefs and cooks.

You and your staff are there to serve and create a comfortable environment for everyone.

Maybe since you charge an arm, leg and firstborn child to 'taste" your food, you could have made a small effort to assist your patrons with their child or reservation. 

Instead of your precious little snit, why did non one offer to help this couple?

Showing some leadership and consideration for everyone at your restaurant wouldn't cost you anything and you would gain a lot of good will and that equals good press.

What have you got now? A whole lot of angry, cheated customers and lots of bad press. 

You, Achatz, and your staff were completely bamboozled by a baby?

None of you had any clue as to how to improve the situation?

Jeez, get off your precious little throne and Grow a pair.

16. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I think Grant had no opinion one way or another.  He was just putting it to the public, and some of them are true snobs.

17. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I just found the entire situation so immature....

Why post something so unnecessary on twitter. Its a baby, not a robber. 

IMO i think grantz even if someone was to have dropped a fork on the floor, or girls taking bad selfies he was going to post on twitter regardless. 

As foodnfoto had stated i think he should have grown a pair... and dealt beatter with the situation. 

Really needs to get off his high horse. 

18. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    This is going to be difficult.

Here we have home cook, home cook, can't boil water, home cook, retired Chef (granted), other.......

Humph!!!!

Your (collectively) comments come from a angle that is controversial.

This is not easy to figure out.

There was a time when children were taught how to behave BEFORE they were allowed to appear in public.

Times have changed but not so the attitude of business.

One side of me agrees with Chef Atchaz, but that does not make him a demon here. 

19. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The linked story does not give, outside of a Twitter post, the final outcome of this incident. Did G-A refuse the people or did they get served? I'm curious here because if we knew the real final outcome maybe opinions would be different.

20. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I totally agree. If I were spending $265.00 for dinner< I would go over and ask them either control your child or leave. If assuming there were  100 diners in the place and one could ruin the experience for all, then majority rules. Its your kid, you control it. Plus they did not pay for kid anyway.