Chef Forum banner

Avocado oil

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  sgsvirgil 
#1 ·
I used olive, corn, sunflower, canola, peanut, sesame, grape oil but just ordered Avocado oil in regular and chili style. Anything i should know like flavor or best used for?

#4 ·
The shelf life of oils depends on the oil and how its stored. Some oils have a longer shelf life than others. But, if they are stored properly, they are not going to go bad on you right away.

You can store cooking oils in the fridge but, its not necessary. Some oils may last longer stored at lower temperatures. If you do store them in the fridge, you're not going to harm the oils in any way. They will take on a temporary cloudy appearance but, it will resolve once they return to room temp. Using cold oil as opposed to room temperature oil will also take longer to heat up in the pan.

So, if you are going to use the oils regularly, the easiest method would be to simply store them out of sunlight and away from heat.

I don't know what you mean by "backing." If you mean "baking", yes, they can be used for baking.

Unless you are buying flavored oils, their flavor is natural.

I hope this helps. Good luck. :)

#6 · (Edited)
The chili one I'm filling a Skenda sprayer with for misting chicken i make in my air fryer. I figure it will add heat & flavour while adding the same benefits olive oil does. The chosen foods 100% pure avocado oil bought in 1 lt bottle think I'll use that when frying (not deep frying) & searing meats
In pan and pressure cooker. Been using EV olive oil but since it smokes on high heat figured give other oil a try. I bought La Tourangelle Sesame oil which comes in a can for recipes that call for it, anything special about that should know?

My olio carli olive oil is in a green tinted glass bottle so is avocado oil just not as dark. The combo chili pepper oil in clear glass and its neomega brand. The Skenda sprayer are clear glass.
When you were in school did they have a class on oils?

#7 · (Edited)
All oil smoke @ high heat. Hence the term "smoke point." EV olive oil has a high smoke point (410'f) and is good for searing.

Just curious, but, isn't the purpose of an air fryer to avoid using oil?

Oils are a medium to create flavor. You generally don't use oils to form the core of your flavor profiles. You do that with herbs and seasonings and other flavors. Oils can help bring out flavors and diffuse them throughout your dish. So, if you chili oil is your core strategy for adding flavor to the chicken you make in the air fryer, then, all you're probably going to get is little more than some heat with little in the way of flavor.

You can crush some aromatics such as garlic, thyme, rosemary, sage etc (not all at once) with a mortar and pestle with a little kosher salt and some chili oil and use that to flavor your chicken as well.

Try adding different spices to different oils such as paprika or smoked paprika or garlic or herbs like basil and let those herbs soak and infuse into the oil.

As for sesame oil, its commonly used in Asian cuisine, especially toasted sesame oil. I like toasted sesame oil. It adds a nice flavor. It has a relatively good smoke point, too - 400'f.

You can do quite a bit of research about various oils online, including their flavors, smoke points, what oils work well with certain foods and so on.

Good luck. :)

#8 ·
No a air fryer still need oil just no as much hence the sprayer. Nothing frys with out some type of fat, coated chicken flour/bread crumbs need oil. The point of a air fryer is to get the same results as deep frying with not using cups of oil but never no oil. Its principal is to heat and vaporize oil circulating in the air around the food giving it the same effect while bulk flows to the bottom of pan.

#9 ·
No a air fryer still need oil just no as much hence the sprayer. Nothing frys with out some type of fat, coated chicken flour/bread crumbs need oil. The point of a air fryer is to get the same results as deep frying with not using cups of oil but never no oil. Its principal is to heat and vaporize oil circulating in the air around the food giving it the same effect while bulk flows to the bottom of pan.[/QUOTE

I see. Good to know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.