Austin, TX recs?

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by lolamb10, Feb 17, 2010.

1. lolamb10

lolamb10

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    hi all,

heading to austin in a few weeks.  i know it's known for some really good food and has a fun, eclectic vibe....any favorite restaurants or bars that i have to hit up??

thanks in advance everyone!
    ~lola

2. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I was there a few years ago, unfortunately I forgot the names of the places I went to, but quite a few of them had a live band playing.

3. lolamb10

lolamb10

Exp:
    Cook At Home
     Oooo live band sounds great.  Let me know if you remember any good spots...

4. gummy-bear

gummy-bear

Exp:
    s:12:"At home cook";
    Trudy's mexican food is delicious
    DK's sushi is good, karaoke on monday nights though.
    Kerbey lane
    Thai kitchen
    Magnolia Cafe
    Hey Cupcake

Tell me what type of cuisine you're most interested in and I'll help you out. I can't be too helpful with bars though.

5. lolamb10

lolamb10

Exp:
    Cook At Home
     wow, thanks Gummy-Bear for the suggestions!!  they all sound great.  i'm also interested in cal-french, as well as BBQ.  oh, and a great brunch spot, too, if you know of one!

6. gummy-bear

gummy-bear

Exp:
    For Barbecue, try Rudy's, Art's, ooooh the Saltlick is amazing but it's a little out of the way, or Stubb's.

Brunch: The kerbey lane is a great choice as is the Magnolia Cafe.Trudy's has a good brunch, and wonderful drinks. If you go there for brunch I suggest a bloody mary. Any other time of day go for their mexican martinis.

A lot of these places I'm naming off are fairly low budget, being a student I go for cheap but good. If you are wanting fancier restaurants I can name those off too.

7. gummy-bear

gummy-bear

Exp:
    oh yeah, Threadgills is a must.

8. lolamb10

lolamb10

Exp:
    Cook At Home
     nice!  i appreciate the budget-friendly suggestions -- i'm a student too.  thanks!