Aureole

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by momoreg, Mar 31, 2001.

1. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I went there last night with my husband for his birthday.

It is one of the best either of us has been to, in terms of service. I would rate the food an 8.

We ordered 2 apps:

Yellowfin tuna sashimi with soba noodles

Smoked squab with baby artichokes and potatoes. They drizzled argane oil on it. (Side note: I didn't know what that was until just now...and it's making me a little bit upset. The argane is an edangered tree in Morocco. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

For entree I had striped bass in a manila clam broth (The broth was not hot enough, but it was tasty).

My husband had a special: lamb cooked 3 ways. He thought the meat was undercooked, and not very substantial. It was a baby lamb chop, a slice of the loin with herbs, and a roulade.

The desserts blew us away.

Mine was a jasmine panna cotta with tangerine sorbet and candied kumquats.

His was banana gateau with chocolate and caramel, with rum ice cream.

Lovely petit fours and house-made chocolates.

The service was impeccable.

All in all, it was a 9. ;)

[ March 31, 2001: Message edited by: momoreg ]

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi there momoreg...
    and a happy birthday to Jordan!!
    I'm not suprised the desserts blew you away givin palmers backround in desserts.

I am not sure if the argane is indangered or not,but the oil is amazing,the almond is roasted before the oil is made to highlight the deep nutty aroma of the oil.To bad about the lamb..sounds like it could have been a real winner.

cc

3. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Please tell me what else you know about argane. I didn't know what it was, so I ran a search, and came up with this: http://www.oneworld.org/ips2/nov98/05_02_006.html

But you say it comes from an almond. Maybe it's a different oil, because the argane I've been reading about is used mostly for cosmetic purposes.

Anyway, I had asked the waiter about who is doing the pastry there, and he told me that the former pastry chef has been there for 13 years, and has just become the chef, and a new pastry chef just started there recently. I wonder if Palmer is even there these days.

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The fruit of the argane has a stone...so I call it a almond..like peach/plum etc.And yes you are right the oil is primaraly used for cosmetics...But once again anything in the hands of a chef with a name becomes trendy.
    cc

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    LOL>>>>ah the license taken with names.....