AUGUST 2021 CHALLENGE - BRITISH COOKERY

Joined Jul 15, 2020
Well… that’s all, Folks. It’s midnight GMT and we are now officially in September. So, the August 2021 challenge, British Cookery, is officially concluded.

I know how passionate I am on this topic, and had some trepidation about making it the theme, but quickly it was confirmed that I’m not alone and that there is considerable merit to British cookery. That has been clearly demonstrated!

Thanks to all who participated; the entries, each one of them, is memorable for a variety of reasons. In all cases the theme was well represented, and the cookery was stupendous. I especially enjoyed the breadth of entries – everything from simple delights, pub grub to posh versions of family meals, and several entries representing the unique offerings in the colonies.

And then there were the shocking and utterly unforgettable entries, well… one extremely shocking entry: Harpua’s toast sandwich. How odd and simple, yet how yummy. What wonderful creativity that is and something that should be institutionalized in the annals of British cookery!

Judging these challenges is, especially for me, exceedingly difficult. I wish there was a standardized scoring system and I’ll be honest with you that my “scoring system” is a combination of (1) how well the theme is represented, (2) how much I wish I could taste it myself, and (3) the amount I dribble (drool) on the keyboard. In this case, it really came down to the final criterion since all entries were equal on the first two criteria.

I am pleased to declare CatManDoo88 CatManDoo88 as the host next month’s challenge. Congratulations!
Wow, thank you so much brianshaw brianshaw ! This is a wonderful surprise, given all of the awesome entries. Also, super meaningful as this was my first cookbook that I stole from my Grandmother's Time/Life Cooking of the World set:
51yaN+9uBKL._SL500_.jpg
Cooking of the British Isles

I will do my best to come up with something really fun and interesting for September!

Joined Jul 15, 2020
Congratulations!

I loved that Time Life set as a child, so many dishes that I wanted to make!
Agreed! And such wonderful photography in it!

The volume about wine and spirits was my introduction to learning about wine in university. And the actual recipes preserve a lot of wonderful traditional secrets missing from more modern recipes (eg. Adding carraway seeds to Goulash.)

Joined Apr 25, 2017
Agreed! And such wonderful photography in it!

The volume about wine and spirits was my introduction to learning about wine in university. And the actual recipes preserve a lot of wonderful traditional secrets missing from more modern recipes (eg. Adding carraway seeds to Goulash.)
The Cooking of Vienna's Empire was my introduction to pastry. That Meringue Cake on the cover!

Top Bottom