AUGUST 2021 CHALLENGE - BRITISH COOKERY

Joined Dec 18, 2010
AUGUST 2021 CHALLENGE: BRITISH COOKERY

Many years ago I had an opportunity to work in the United Kingdom, England to be precise. I was excited, as was boss since the story I didn't know is that several other people turned down the opportunity. They didn't like this, or didn't like that, or they didn't like some other thing... but most consistently they said they didn't like British food. For me, despite a common language, everything about England seemed quite foreign but it took no time at all to grow to love the country, the people, the beer, and the food. I couldn't get enough of all of it!

So let's get cooking British style. Any type of food: sweet or savory; posh or pub grub; and representing any part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain... including the Commonwealths and former colonies (except the United States, since that was the July 2021 challenge).

This challenge is wide open but one thing that will gain extra credit is a story to go with it and/or brief discussion of the history of the dish.

The rules:
  • The challenge begins on the 1st of every month. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
  • You may post multiple entries.
  • All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
  • If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
  • Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
  • The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
  • Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.
  • The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.
Good luck folks... let's have fun cooking!

1920px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2007
Well, didn't see this one coming. Interesting, could be a good challenge. I'll have to think back to the time my wife and were in England and Wales, what I enjoyed eating while there. Mushy peas was not among my favorites.

I do have a bottle of HP sauce in the fridge. Hmmmm.....

mjb.

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Interesting! I love this idea -- a great reason to try making Fish Pie, Pork Pie with a hot water crust, Australian Lamingtons, pavlova (maybe that's New Zealand?) Canadian Butter Tarts... Lots more!
Great challenge! brianshaw brianshaw

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Inclusive of (former) colonies.....
That does indeed leave it wide open ;)

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Okay, lemme open up ;)
I grew uo with this type of food:
Nasi goreng, with achar and fried egg.
IMG_20210802_120447.jpg
Not the best picture but you get the idea.
Nasi goreng literally means fried rice. It's a left over dish, often eaten for breakfast, although we used to eat it in the evening.
This version was made with left over beef, onions, garlic, chili and a little Chinese cabbage.
I am cheating a bit here, as I would normally call this an Indonesian dish, but for this challenge I'll call it Malaysian :)

Joined Jan 8, 2010
And rice!
I forgot to mention rice as an ingredient.
Day old cold rice works best.

Joined May 10, 2021
AUGUST 2021 CHALLENGE: BRITISH COOKERY

Many years ago I had an opportunity to work in the United Kingdom, England to be precise. I was excited, as was boss since the story I didn't know is that several other people turned down the opportunity. They didn't like this, or didn't like that, or they didn't like some other thing... but most consistently they said they didn't like British food. For me, despite a common language, everything about England seemed quite foreign but it took no time at all to grow to love the country, the people, the beer, and the food. I couldn't get enough of all of it!

So let's get cooking British style. Any type of food: sweet or savory; posh or pub grub; and representing any part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain... including the Commonwealths and former colonies (except the United States, since that was the July 2021 challenge).

This challenge is wide open but one thing that will gain extra credit is a story to go with it and/or brief discussion of the history of the dish.

The rules:
  • The challenge begins on the 1st of every month. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
  • You may post multiple entries.
  • All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
  • If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
  • Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
  • The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
  • Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.
  • The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.
Good luck folks... let's have fun cooking!

View attachment 70607
British food isnt in the top ratings of the food chain. So what sort of decent food will come out of this.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
LOL… if it were easy it wouldn’t be a CHALLENGE! Join in on the fun… show us what decent British food is really about! :)

Joined May 10, 2021
It must be said, that english food is nowhere as good as american, italian or french. I am not sure why but it seems the brits just cannot cook.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
That's pretty harsh!
The Brits have always been good at a big roast and these days the cooking has much approved! At least that's when I found when I was there last.
Lots of fresh ingredients, no overcooked vegetables, very nice tender lamb and beef. Also not overcooked!

Joined Nov 5, 2007
This is similar to the cottage cheese and pineapple ring I did for the American challenge. But here I actually had to pick up my knife! Had to peel and slice a cucumber, really putting my skills to the test!

20210804_083525.jpg

Cucumber, white bread, butter, dill, sea salt.

Peeled a section of the cucumber. Went with planks instead of rounds.

20210804_083900.jpg

A cucumber sandwich is found at many afternoon teas.

20210804_084501.jpg

And you are correct, that is not a cup of tea. It is, however, a beverage appropriate to the theme.

mjb.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I’d gladly eat that cucumber sandwich… probably not with a cup of tea but definitely with that gin and tonic. You are firing on all cylinders with that British classic!

Joined Dec 18, 2010
It must be said, that english food is nowhere as good as american, italian or french. I am not sure why but it seems the brits just cannot cook.
Just for you… dinner last night… British and British-French. I’ll post food pics if you so desire. This guy and his staff can definitely cook!

Show us your best, or even your worst… my taste is highly varied, especially in British food.
B34BF6E4-4FD4-4C71-9CFA-1BAD40A79EE8.jpeg

Joined Oct 9, 2008
It should also be noted that the UK has produced some 3-star guys in the last generation, most of whom are quite insistent about changing the perception of British cookery. Personally, I find most American food an awful lot worse than British. But who needs to generalize anyway?

Joined May 10, 2021
It should also be noted that the UK has produced some 3-star guys in the last generation, most of whom are quite insistent about changing the perception of British cookery. Personally, I find most American food an awful lot worse than British. But who needs to generalize anyway?
I disagree. American food is far better, than the english low grade food that's dished up, and sold in supermarkets, and the greasy spoon caffs. The diners in the usa have superb meatloaf and the like.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I had a very memorable lunch in England. It was at a brew pub type place, near a rock formation known as The Three Bishops. It may have even been called Three Bishops Brewing.

I ordered the Ploughman's Lunch. And it was the best one I had while over there. Some charcuterie, some cheese, bread, mustard, and a pickle. The pickle was very good, had like red onion, cabbage, carrot and stuff, quite tasty. The meats were excellent, but what blew me away was I got my first taste of Shropshire Blue. Kind of a blue cheddar, developed in that area. I was awestruck by what a tasty cheese that was!

I'm hoping to find some here in Salt Lake, use it some way in this challenge.

Shropshire_Blue.jpg

But this morning working on another British classic. It is a bit more complicated then a cucumber sandwich.

mjb.

Top Bottom