August 2019 Cooking Challenge: Sauce (on something)

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by planethoff, Aug 1, 2019.

1. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Nearing the middle of the month and I have yet to produce any of the dishes I planned on for this challenge. But dinner tonight sort of qualifies.

20190812_223437.jpg

Pasta in a mushroom sausage cream sauce. Browned up about a half pound of hot Italian sausage, the bulk stuff from a local megamart. Added a minced shallot and maybe half a cup of sliced crimini mushrooms. After about 5 minutes put in a tablespoon of tomato paste, gave it all a good stir. About a quarter cup of dry vermouth went in, when almost evaporated poured in about a cup of cream. Brought it to a boil. let it reduce for maybe 7 -8 minutes, stirred in the cooked pasta, another 5 - 6 minutes.

Plated, topped with shredded cheese and a basil leaf fresh from the garden, along with a few sweet 100 maters. Not a challenge to my skills, but quite a pleasant dinner.

mjb.

fatcook and planethoff like this.
  2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    LOL, I know what you mean as I haven't done any of the ones that I actually want to do yet either. Trouble finding time and sourcing ingredients, so have played with ingredients already on hand. That pasta is the bomb though and I would definitely eat it!

3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    5A81F086-8AC6-4750-96B6-8F5ABC2244F9.jpeg I don’t know if this qualifies but I’ll leave it right here and let you decide if it’s a contender or not.

Chicken Makhani (Butter Chicken)

I’ve been visiting my folks in Greece for the past two months, enjoying all the Greek delights to the fullest. But my Dad gets pretty sick of Greek food as there are no restaurants here that offer other cuisines and my mom mostly cooks Greek food herself. So while I’m here I try to cook some dishes they don’t normally eat and this was their first time eating butter chicken.

As you know, creating the spice blends are the real work here and there were 3 that went into this dish. The first was the chicken marinade with yogurt, oil, cayenne pepper, ginger and turmeric. Then there was the spice blend for the sauce which had cumin, coriander, ginger, garlic, butter, onion, tomato, and cream. Finally was the garam masala and I used this recipe https://www.veganricha.com/2019/01/homemade-garam-masala-spice-blend-recipe.html to which I added fennel and bay leaf.

I seared the chicken and removed it before it was fully cooked. In the pan I gently sweated the onion until soft and translucent, then added the ginger and garlic and the spices, then finally the crushed tomatoes. At this point I should’ve pureed the sauce but skipped it. I added the chicken back in and let it simmer gently until cooked. At this point I added the garam masala and oh my oh my that’s when the aromas hit the fan. Everyone in the house was ooooooinng and ahhhhhing at our impending dinner. The cream was last and added on gentle heat right before serving.

The picture doesn’t it do it justice of course but it was so very good. Dad was happy and we were all sweating from the heat.

morning glory, butzy, teamfat and 3 others like this.
  4. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    @mike9 Looks like a very tasty slaw. I'd love that on some carnitas tacos. Good move on putting the apples in acidulated water to keep the fresh appearance. The cranberry and apple is a great mix.

5. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    @teamfat It may not have been your planned entry, but a tasty pasta dish with what you usually have on hand is a great choice. I think a sign of a good chef is not only being able to execute a planned menu, but being able to put something great together on the fly. Well done.

6. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    @koukouvagia I can smell the spice from Florida! I love butter chicken! and Yes! It definitely counts. That is why I was so forceful with my definition earlier. I want to allow for as many entries as possible so I am using the loosest definition of sauce as I can. Great work.

koukouvagia likes this.
  7. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    A very simple one:
    My sauce, consisting of yoghurt, garlic, cilantro, cumin and Burmese chili sauce
    01 yoghurt-cilantro-cumin-burma chili-garlic.jpg

Chicken skewers
    02 chicken skewers.jpg

Tortilla's (flour, water, olive oil, salt)
    03 tortilla.jpg

On the braai (without griddle)
    05 braai.jpg

And the final dish:
    Tortilla with pickled cucumber, grilled chicken and garlicky yoghurt sauce
    09 tortilla with pickle and sauce.jpg

planethoff, koukouvagia and fatcook like this.
  8. fatcook

fatcook

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Yum! I'm glad to see I am not the only one who likes pickles on their flat bread :)

9. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Well it's that time of year and tomatoes are coming in like gang busters. We had some heirloom types that went mutant on us and I thought what the hey lets use 'em, or loose 'em. My 10 yr. old granddaughter came over today and we set up stations to process these bad boys into . . . PIZZA SAUCE. Perfect for Detroit style pizza because the sauce goes ON TOP!

Rough cut and peeled -
    [​IMG]

After a break down simmer (with garlic of course) and a trip through the food mill -
    [​IMG]

Turkey pepperoni, mushroom and green pepper with a mMexican cheese blend on top -
    [​IMG]

Time to add the home made sauce -
    [​IMG]

Finished product - delicious!!
    [​IMG]

10. fatcook

fatcook

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    That crust looks delicious!

11. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Shrimp seasoned with a southwestern rub, then grilled, served with a green grape garlic sauce.
    Bulgur salad with a trio of cherry tomatoes and cucumber and a cucumber yogurt dressing.
    Yellow corn seasoned with lemon pepper and then grilled.
    The green grape garlic sauce was a play on rouille, which is an olive oil and garlic sauce thickened with bread. I sautéed some garlic and put it in a blender with green grapes, key lime juice, and sourdough bread (crusts removed). With the blender running, I slowly added the olive oil. After it was finished, I folded in chopped parsley.

morning glory, planethoff and butzy like this.
  12. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    @butzy I would grub on that! I ordered a shawarma once and it had a pickle on it. At first, I was a little put off, but when I actually ate it, I found it quite good. It is a great addition and pairs with the yogurt sauce well.

I'm curious to find out a little more about your Burmese Chili oil though.

13. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    @mike9 You have me fascinated with Detroit style pizza. I am getting a Blue Steel pan soon. I really like the slices of garlic on top. The sauce looks on point. Very limited window to when you can make a good sauce with fresh tomatoes. Well done.

14. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    @cheflayne Green grape garlic sauce? That threw me for a loop, but as you describe it, I can see how it would work. My wife loves a sweet touch in a sauce, I might try to copy that recipe. I actually make my Gazpacho similar to that.

15. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I had a hankerin' for some lamb again. Thought about doing a classic English mint sauce, with just mint, vinegar, water and a bit of sugar. Then for some reason chimichurri came to mind.

The Players

20190814_035907.jpg

A rack of lamb, of course.

20190814_031727.jpg

And the stuff for the sauce. We have parsley, oregano, mint, garlic, red onion, lemon in the picture Not shown are wine vinegar, olive oil and salt.

The Process

First off the green herbs get put in a food processor. Parsley roughly torn and tossed in. The mint and oregano leaves were stripped from the stems and added. About 6 cloves of the garlic were peeled and smashed, into the mix. Maybe a quarter of the onion coarsely chopped and tossed in. Drizzled in about a quarter cup of the vinegar, about half a cup of olive oil, maybe a teaspoon of salt, juice from half the lemon. Hit the button.

20190814_035619.jpg

Added a bit more salt and some black pepper, another pulse or two. Meanwhile the lamb was drying on a rack, stuffed it into a bag, added some of the chimichurri sauce as a marinade.

20190814_040103.jpg

Stashed the bag in the fridge for about an hour and a half. Some of the red onion, along with some cucumber slices, made its way into a vinegar and salt bath.

20190814_055442.jpg

Charcoal started. I did this after I got home from work, which was about 6:30 am. Wonder if any of the neighbors were awake, looked out their window and wondered what that crazy guy was doing firing up his grill at 7 in the morning?

Lamb removed from bag, got the probe inserted and onto the grill, indirect heat. Also had a portabello handy, brushed with olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper. It went right over the fire when the lamb was getting close.

20190814_054448.jpg

Pulled the lamb at 119F, let it rest under foil for maybe 15 minutes.

The Product

Sliced the lamb, plated it up with the mushroom and pickle, a bit more sauce on the meat.

20190814_060323.jpg

Very nice. The chimichurri was fresh, vibrant and very herbaceous! I had thought about adding some fresh chilis, but decided not to, enjoyed it just as it was.

And not in the picture was the wine. It was New Zealand lamb, so I poured some New Zealand wine, a Kim Crawford 2017 Pinot Noir. Made for a very nice dinner.

mjb.

16. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    planethoff likes this.
  17. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    @teamfat I have never had chimichurri on lamb, but it looks as if I have to now! I absolutely love lamb, but unfortunately, my wife does not like it at all, so I can only have it when I eat out. (which is not that often)

18. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    @butzy Thanks for the recipe. I will be making it soon!

19. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Grilled lamb with a licorice merlot sauce
    Sauteed sunburst pattypan squash, fennel, and a trio of cherry tomatoes
    Baked sweet potato with butter
    For the sauce I brought merlot to a boil. Added demi glace, balsamic vinegar, and black licorice. Brought back up to a boil. Lidded pan and turned heat off. Let sit while cooking lamb. When lamb was done, brought sauce back up to a boil and processed in blender.

planethoff likes this.
  20. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    A simple Salsa with most of the ingredients coming from the garden. Cherry tomatoes, garlic, jalapeno & shitito peppers. Onion (never had luck with those), Corn (mine is way behind) and some parsley (cheaper to buy it) were sourced. I toasted the corn over a flame after steaming it in the microwave. Gives it an awesome flavor!
    Leftover chicken from a spatchcock I did earlier in the week, some double smoked bacon, some grated Manchego cheese and some guac are the perfect paring with the salsa on pan toasted corn tortillas.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The business end -
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    planethoff, butzy and fatcook like this.