August 2019 Cooking Challenge: Sauce (on something)

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by planethoff, Aug 1, 2019.

1. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    Now that’s a cheese sauce! The consistency seems perfect and I can imagine the flavor.

fatcook likes this.
  2. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    Not to start an argument but from the point I was trying to make above: Tzatziki and Skordalia are sauces. Sauce is a very broad category. Sauce includes: dips, spreads, gravies, jellies, jam, compote, coulis, relish, jus, etc. basically anything put as a topping in something else that has a liquid component.

Now, we can argue over definitions and semantics and you can choose to agree or not agree with me. It really is fine whichever way you believe to define it. It does not take away from it being a delicious food item.

However, for the purpose of this month’s challenge, I decide what is or isn’t sauce.

To me Tzatziki definitely is a sauce. I put it on my Gyros and falafel. I have a very broad definition of sauce and their are many sub categories. Hummus can even be considered a sauce.
    383353AB-2F3A-4A3A-B499-260CC85116AD.jpeg

Like Cheflayne stated. All gravies are sauce, but not all sauces are gravy. Similarly, all dips are sauce, but not all sauces are dips.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    planethoff likes this.
  4. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Oooh! Sounds very good indeed.

5. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    A friend gave me some twice smoked bacon he made. I ground some into London Broil the other day for burgers. They were delicious so I took the leftover mixture and made meatballs. I used roasted garlic ciabatta for the bread. I didn't have any milk so I used beef broth then lightly squeezed after 20 minutes and added that to the meatball mix along with some Romano and an egg yolk.

The sauce was roasted tomatoes and garlic from last years crop. I didn't want to waste the beef broth so I added a clove of smashed garlic and a pat of butter and reduced by 2/3 then added that to the tomato sauce, added a couple of basil branches and let reduce some more.

[​IMG]

The final product had an amazing texture and flavor. Can't wait for leftovers.
    [​IMG]

morning glory, planethoff and fatcook like this.
  6. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    @cheflayne Your egg/rice/veg plate looks very tasty and creative. Not to mention healthy. I'm curious; How did you make the Miso/Brie sauce?

7. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    @mike9 I am a huge sucker for spaghetti and meatballs and your looks spectacular. The sauce is vibrant and seems to have the perfect consistency. What is the topping? Toasted bread crumbs?

8. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Brought chicken stock to a simmer. Added miso and stirred until dissolved. Added brie and did the same. Added coconut aminos and mirin. Simmered for 1 minute stirring constantly then strained through etamine.

planethoff likes this.
  9. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    You are correct - pan toasted in a little evoo. an old girlfriends Sicilian (off the boat) grandmother used to serve that as the topping for pasta. She called it "sawdust" and I think adds a really nice crunch to an otherwise soft dish.

planethoff likes this.
  10. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I always add a little beef base to my spaghetti sauce, adds complexity that is otherwise missing...

mike9 likes this.
  11. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    The only problem with bases is many are loaded with soy. I ditched all my "Better than Bullion's" after I figured out my allergy thing.

12. fatcook

fatcook

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Yes! I finally made it past thinking about the monthly challenge and coming up with an idea, to actually making it.

Every year when cherry season hits, I go little cherry crazy. At least one time per season Cherries Jubilee must be made. The cherries hit our local store last week, so here is my sauce served on something: Cherries Jubilee on vanilla bean ice cream.

The cherries are pitted and halved. Gratuitous confession: That bag was full two days ago... IMG_0187.jpeg

and cooked with butter, sugar, water, and cherry juice from my stash (collected when frozen cherries are thawed).

IMG_0190.jpeg

The sauce is cooked down to a syrupy consistency. I like to use Amaretto for the flambee liquor - the almond flavor goes well with the cherries.
    IMG_0197.jpeg

Hmm, there should be an exclaimation here, like Opa! for Saganaki. Voila! ?

IMG_0200.jpeg

I must be alone now...
    IMG_0203.jpeg

13. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    @fatcook If you were looking to make a big impact with your first submission, Congratulations! You succeeded.

The definition of eternity just became the amount of time between now and when I can eat that! I will be copying your recipe this weekend.

14. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    My 17th wedding Anniversary is tomorrow and since we are going to a very nice fancy dinner out tomorrow, I decided to treat her today.

Since we left San Francisco in 02. She has not been able to have her favorite pizza ever. Roasted Garlic, Potato, Pesto pizza. Today I made it for her. She is on cloud 9.

B0D257E7-CF2C-467B-8CF2-A406C760091E.jpeg
    Toppings. EVOO, Mozz, Parm, ricotta, pesto, ricotta, Potatoes, garlic
    AFF122A7-902F-437A-A56C-AC2040A0B7C2.jpeg

F4584D1F-B203-403A-9751-D0AF53524E89.jpeg
    I do a pistachio pesto. EVOO, garlic, parm, roasted pistachios, tons o basil.
    0F15E9E3-9915-41B9-92A2-A0F029E6B3E0.jpeg
    6C222E55-2B1D-4763-A3F4-DBA95FE511B1.jpeg

She loved it.

koukouvagia and fatcook like this.
  15. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    My granddaughters birthday party today so I made a recipe I've been working on this year. It's a red cabbage "ginger lime" slaw. The dressing is ginger root, sliced thick enough to fit in my garlic press. Slice, peal then squeeze into the cup, then I add lime juice, pinch of salt, splash of agave nectar, and a splash of cider vinegar. Shred the cabbage then cull out the tough rib sections. Then I add dried cranberries and mince some crystalized ginger. While that was working I microwaved an ear of corn then roasted over a flame and removed the kernels from the cob and added that to the slaw. I strained the dressing and squeezed the ginger pulp then folded everything together and tasted for seasoning. After that I sliced and pealed two Macintosh apples and put them in acidulated water. Right before the party I folded the apples into the slaw and served. This is such a refreshing summer slaw and is a great topping for carnitas, fish tacos, a side dish for anything, etc.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    ShelteredBugg1 and planethoff like this.
  16. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook

Pangrattata!

17. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Whatever you say boss!

18. ShelteredBugg1

ShelteredBugg1

Exp:
    3 years
    Im more or a mole madre kind of guy.

19. ShelteredBugg1

ShelteredBugg1

Exp:
    3 years

20. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    As suggested in a Bob Appetit recipe for mole negro, I ordered some chilhuacle negro chilies, as well as some chilhuacle amarillo. When they arrive, I'll get started on making at least one type of mole.

mjb.

ShelteredBugg1 likes this.