August 2019 Cooking Challenge: Sauce (on something)

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by planethoff, Aug 1, 2019.

1. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    Ok folks! I looked back and aside from one month with @teamfat 's Feburary 2016 Challenge: Three Part Harmony. Filling, wrapper, and a sauce. I don't think this has been done before. It can be sweet, savory, rich, silky, creamy, or anything else you desire. Put a sauce, gravy, dressing, topping, etc. on something. Anything! (anything edible that is. lol) Be creative. Be bold. Have fun!!

The Rules:

The challenge begins on the 1st of every month. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.

You may post multiple entries.

All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.

If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.

Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.

The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.

Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.

The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.

2. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Interesting....
    It's gonna be a saucy month ;)

3. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Nice - with tomatoes coming in it's gonna be fun.

4. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Cool! Where's my copy of Petersen's "Sauces" book?

One of the things I had in mind for the chicken challenge was a Chinese dish, chicken in a black bean garlic sauce. Maybe I'll do that, but this time it doesn't have to be chicken. Hmmm...

mjb.

5. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Just had a thought - Mexican mole. I'm assuming that counts as a sauce. I've been meaning to try making some from scratch for many years, this may be the incentive I need to actually do it!

mjb.

6. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    I would say Mole is definitely a sauce. In fact, it is one of my favorites. There is a place in your town that is famous for it. The Red Iguana. Have you ever eaten there?

7. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    So many ideas are going through my head. Great challenge @planethoff.

8. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Yes, but it has been a while. The place has a worldwide reputation, the wait for a table can be a LONG time. When we saw Robert Earl Keen in a concert a while back, he said something like "It's great to be back in Salt Lake, first stop is always The Red Iquana. Best Mexican food ever, and I'm from Texas!"

mjb.

planethoff likes this.
  9. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Thanks for reminding me. That will give some good ideas!

10. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Dang Greeks don’t sauce anything! I’m definitely gonna have to do something anyway even if they don’t like it.

11. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    Ummmmmm.......... Tzatziki, Stoumbi, Yiourti Lemoni Kai Anitho, Skordalia, Avgolemono, Saltsa Bechemel, Koukoumaria Saltsa to name a few.

butzy, mike9 and brianshaw like this.
  12. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Skordalia, and Tzaziki don't count???

13. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    So, in case any one is questioning what constitutes a sauce.

It is anything that is incorporated into a liquid. It can be water, broth, cream, or whatever else as a base and you can add anything to it.

My wife and I had a heated discussion yesterday as to whether or not gravy is a sauce. For the record it is!

14. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    LOL!!! Used to drive me crazy when I would be in the dining room and a guest would refer to the wonderful gravy I had made. I wanted to scream "It is sauce!" In my head I would be muttering "Get me back to the sanctity of the kitchen".

Gravy is sauce, but not all sauces are gravy. Beware, overly sensitive chef at work. :~)

teamfat and butzy like this.
  15. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The audio is really poor quality, shucks.

And I'm glad about the discussion of gravy and sauce. Hoping to get my first two dishes posted in the morning.

mjb.

morning glory and planethoff like this.
  16. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Grilled brie cheese sandwich with red pear, arugula, and applewood black pepper bacon on brioche and drizzled with a pomegranate sauce

For the sauce I finely chopped some of the cooked bacon and steeped it in some duck glace de viande. Then I added pomegranate juice, sumac, palm sugar, and xeres vinegar. Brought to a boil, and reduced until thickened, Strained through a fine mesh strainer

BJTrumpet and koukouvagia like this.
  17. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I’m not familiar with stoumbi and koukoumaria but the latter sounds very interesting indeed.

No, tzatziki and skordalia are not sauce. They are dips on par with hummus and babaganoush.

18. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    C97FD6F0-F079-4FA5-AB1A-6D57028A8CDC.jpeg How about a cheese sauce for steak? This one is full of danish blue and Parmesan, scented with rosemary. It’s good on the potatoes too, and on all the veggies!

morning glory and planethoff like this.
  19. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    @teamfat I’ve been to the Red Iguana twice. I am partial to a little place outside San Jose called Maria Elena’s for my favorite Molé, but theirs is a very close second.

20. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    That sounds fantastic! The tang of the brie with the peppery arugula and smoky bacon complimented by the sweet of the pear and pomegranate. Very creative. Upscale grilled cheese at its best.

morning glory likes this.