August 2018 Cooking Challenge - Weeknight cookout!

Joined Apr 25, 2014
I like day trips, long weekends, and after work fishing. Not everything has to be a 1 week vacation or a 12 hour brisket. You have to make time to enjoy the little things, like this summer weather. I cook outside year round and in the summer I want to eat outside too. Don't wait for an elaborate weekend BBQ. Get outside on weeknights too!

Here's the challenge scenario. You have friends coming over after work. It's a beautiful night to use that patio furniture. What can you make in 1.5 hours or less?

We're not counting inactive prep time. If you were clever to make ferments ahead of time, marinade the night before, thaw meats, stock your freezer and pantry well, etc. then you should be rewarded for good planning!

There is no restriction on ingredients or techniques. If you want to make a berry tart, go ahead. If you want to grill a steak, deep fry zucchini blossoms, it is all good. Anything that you think would be good at a cookout and doesn't take too long to make (if the dish can be made in advance and served cold I will give you unlimited time). Apps, mains, desserts, beverages are all valid entries.

The usual rules apply:
- The challenge begins on the 1st of every month and the last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
- You may post multiple entries.
- All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
- If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
- Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
- The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
- Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.

The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.

Last edited:
Joined Apr 25, 2014
harpua harpua It's not a grilling challenge, although that is an easy go to. Think side dishes, cold salads, desserts too :D. Anything you would bring to a cookout.

Joined May 28, 2015
For once I will be first up as I made this today and it sat in the fridge until it got eaten tonight. A side salad of potato, egg, olives, radishes and dates in a yoghurt and Dijon mustard dressing - chilli flakes scattered on top.

fullsizeoutput_382b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_383f.jpeg

Last edited:
Joined Nov 15, 2012
My SO currently has our Weber for the rest of the month for a road trip :(. Any other outside cooking methods?

Pretty easy to set up a fire on the ground with a few rocks, little tuffer to dodge the smoke though.

Joined Apr 11, 2018
Last night I grilled up some beef and chicken fajitas. Thighs and inside skirt. Also decided to grill some strips of yellow squash and zucchini. They aren't the typical fajita component but they worked quite well...

20180802_191535.jpg

20180802_193023.jpg

20180802_194442.jpg

(And yes my everyday plateware are refugees from the '70s...)

Last edited:
Joined Sep 21, 2001
I did the mussels outside on a propane burner. I tossed them with butter, white wine, garden tomatoes, fresh rosemary, basil, oregano flowers, chives, thyme and parsley.The corn I just boiled and flopped on top of the mussels to pick up the juice ;)

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Chicken for me as well.
I had bought a whole frozen chicken and defrosted it, took off the wings and legs and used them for piri piri chicken.
The remainder of the chicken was used in a sort of Thai style red chicken curry, with the chicken grilled on the braai.
But as quite a lot of that dish was cooked indoors on the stovetop, I didn't include that dish.

So here we go.

Secret marinade ingredient ;)
other ingredients: olive oil-garlic powder-onion powder-smoked paprika-paprika-piri piri powder-fish sauce and red wine vinegar
12 secret ingredient.jpg

Chicken in the marinade
11 wings and legs in marinade.jpg

And yes, I was cooking for 2
13 cooking for two.jpg

They are about done
15 piri piri chicken.jpg

And fully done
17 ready.jpg

Joined May 4, 2005
Chicken for me as well.
I had bought a whole frozen chicken and defrosted it, took off the wings and legs and used them for piri piri chicken.
The remainder of the chicken was used in a sort of Thai style red chicken curry, with the chicken grilled on the braai.
But as quite a lot of that dish was cooked indoors on the stovetop, I didn't include that dish.

So here we go.

Secret marinade ingredient ;)
other ingredients: olive oil-garlic powder-onion powder-smoked paprika-paprika-piri piri powder-fish sauce and red wine vinegar
View attachment 65466

Chicken in the marinade
View attachment 65462

And yes, I was cooking for 2
View attachment 65463

They are about done
View attachment 65464

And fully done
View attachment 65465
That’s a good boy! (Or girl)

Joined Apr 25, 2011
For the concept of the challenge I grilled the filet,made and reduced the Bordelaise sauce, boiled and mashed the potatoes, and roasted the carrots. It was under 90 minutes. It would be a great weeknight guest supper. Paired with a 2010 Bordeaux

Filet Mignon Bordelaise with Boursin mashed potatoes and roasted rainbow baby carrots.

9C698689-080C-419A-9528-BAF2D185D02C.jpeg

Joined Nov 15, 2012
woof woof

The dog's a boy. I'm a girl

Ahaha, that's funny, I always felt your posts where rather masculine, photography and all. Likely it is just the nuances of translating your native tongue to English. Well more likely it's that butzy is a masculine nick-name here in the States, and people just imagine whatever they will.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Ah, the nick name is just a spoof on my surname. Very boring.
My brother was The Butz, and me, I became Butzy (I am the youngest after all)...

Back on topic ;)
My manager is off, so been quite busy. Hope to get some more dishes in. Got some decent ideas...

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Potjie (non traditional)

Can be made with any type of meat and vegetables etc. I used thinly sliced pork chop cut into pieces, to make sure I would stay within the time limit.
Non-traditional: as potjies are normally not spicy, but mine are. Also, the purists fry onions and meat, add the other ingredients, close the lid and don't stir or check. They actually get angry if you would lift the lid!
Me, I use them as I would use any cast iron pot. I open, adjust spices, stir etc etc

Anyway, here we go:

The set up:
02 potjie set up.jpg

Frying the fatty meat pieces
03 frying fatty pork.jpg
Adding sliced red onions (I recently bought a 7 kg bag of red onions and maybe that's a bit of overkill for 1 person)
04 adding sliced red onions.jpg
Spices (and obviously extra garlic. Also used some soy and kecap and a bit of vinegar)
05 spices.jpg 06 spices.jpg

Added the pork
07 added pork.jpg

And now we wait:
08 cooking.jpg
And then we eat (with home made pita and coriander leaf)
10 ready to eat.jpg
I could have made the pita bread while the potjie was going, but I still had some in the freezer, so used those first.
Pita and pizza will follow as another entry (if time permits)

Latest posts

Top Bottom