August 2016 Cooking Challenge: Casseroles

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chefbuba, Aug 1, 2016.

1. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    We have all made and eaten a casserole a time or two. We take them to potlucks, church functions, to comfort a sick or hurting friend after a loss and most importantly to feed our family.

Most have a creamy component (insert the ubiquitous can of cream of whatever soup) that makes it appealing, some are vegetarian, most have meat and many have a crunchy topping. Let's stay away from the canned stuff, it's too easy to make your own.

So get out your baking dishes and turn the oven on.

2. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    What's the difference between a casserole and a stew?
    Just the heat source (oven vs hot plate)?

3. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    It was 103 degrees F this afternoon, and you want me to turn on the oven and bake something for hours?

Seriously, a good choice, lots of room for creativity here. I'll work on something that doesn't involve canned tuna, green beans and a certain type of onion.

mjb.

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I love cooking in my creuset so this will be great when I get back to the states later this month!  Question though, not really sure what a casserole is NOT.  Is a stew a casserole?  A one pot meal?  Is lasagna a casserole for example?  Casserole is not a word that I am familiar with in day to day lingo so a little clarification would be helpful!

5. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Well... I've been in trouble over this before. In America, casseroles are often considered to be dishes 'baked' in the oven and aren't necessarily in a gravy or sauce. These are dishes that I would call 'bakes'. In the UK, casserole usually means a dish cooked either in the oven or on the hob in one pot which has a gravy component - a stew is more or less the same as a casserole in the UK. 

For example, if you look at the dishes listed as casseroles on this link, in the UK they would be called bakes or pies (definitely not casseroles!).http://www.marthastewart.com/275541/easy-casserole-recipes#206812

If you look at the recipes listed as casseroles on this BBC UK link you will see that mostly they are 'stews'. Beef Bourguignon would be a classic example.http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/casserole

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  6. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    To me a casserole is a one dish meal, baked in the oven.. I don't want to turn this into what is and what might be a casserole discussion.

Stew is not a casserole. If you are lucky enough to have your mom's or grandma's old cook books, thumb through them, I bet there is a wealth of information there. Google is also your friend, there are 38,500,000 hits on the word casserole.

This PBS series is where I got my inspiration for this month's challenge, give it a watch.

http://www.pbs.org/food/features/a-chefs-life-season-3-episode-7-casserole-says-plenty/

7. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    No problem. I was just clarifying that in the UK (possibly in Europe?) the word means something different and @Koukouvagia  seemed to want some clarification too. The judge's word is final. And I'm more than happy to go with the American definition of a casserole. Shepherd's Pie might be coming up in that case! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

8. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Bob's your uncle!

9. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
  10. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Dang...I got really excited reading that wiki entry and seeing the word hotpot...little did I know Chinese hot pot is totally different than what is referred to there XD

I'll have to do a little work looking for cream substitutes/non-dairy recipes 

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  11. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    First off @chefbuba  I ADORE Vivian Howard. I saw that episode of "A Chef's Life"

and I loved that analogy of casseroles, Southern Style.

Second, even the word casserole I like, it makes me think of cassoulet, of which I still have not made.

So here we are

Our new landlords do not cook and work outside of the home

late on Tuesdays, so I contribute/share weekly with something.

A Tuna Casserole (yeah, I know so shot me), one for upstairs and one

for downstairs:

½ lb. Barilla Whole Wheat Medium Shells

1 Tbsp. Olive Oil

4 Tbsp. Butter, divided

1 C. minced Onion

1 C. minced Celery

½ C. minced Red Bell Pepper

1 Tbsp. Flour

½ C. Dry White Wine

½ C. Chicken broth

1 C. Half and Half

1 C. frozen Peas

2 seven ounce cans of Tuna, drained and flaked

1 ½ C. Bread Crumbs 

VERY ONO!

12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    According to wiki "Types of casserole include ragouthotpotcassoulettajinemoussakalasagneshepherd's piegratin, rice or macaroni timballo, and carbonnade."  
    You never know, we're all from different parts of the world on the forum so I want to be sure.  My grandmother is a little old greek lady who has never cooked anything in the oven in her life so it's a little different haha.  I'll be sure to stick something in the oven this month though and you be the judge.

13. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    K~Girl, nothing wrong with a tuna casserole, I made one the other night, using the last of my home canned albacore. Tasty!

14. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    We call this Hotdish in Minnesota.  :D :D 

maryb likes this.
  15. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Casserole spells use of leftovers sometimes so since eggplant was.99/lb and I had leftover gyro meat, sausage, etc. I made an eggplant casserole - aka - lasagna.  I made a ragu from leftover meats and veg along with some other goodies and assembled the dish and baked till golden brown on top - delicious.

flipflopgirl, koukouvagia and nicko like this.
  16. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    Oh yeah. You betcha. Dontcha know.

17. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Ruh Roh......We might have a contender.

18. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Oh my gosh buba! That would be a~maz~ing! I hope that we get to SEE that!

I love casseroles, they're so simple, easy and homey.

Here's another that I make alot :

Hatch Green Chile Relleno Casserole

1 ½ 27oz. cans Hatch Whole Green Chiles
    4-6 C. shredded Colby Jack Cheese
    1 C. Whole Milk
    ¼ C. Flour
    ¼ tsp. Baking powder
    5 Large Eggs
    8 oz. Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
    ½ tsp. Cumin powder
    ½ tsp. Oregano

Surprisingly tasty really, with NO TORTILLAS ... this does well at large gatherings,

as does actually ANY Casserole!

planethoff and experimenter like this.
  19. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My inspiration was aloo gobi which is an East Indian potato and cauliflower dish. I definitely took some liberties for my variation. Such as... I turned it into a casserole. I used coconut milk. I used sweet potatoes instead of russets. I used fresh turmeric instead of dried ground. I added chicken and sweet white corn. I sprinkled it with matzo..Other than that, not much :~)

Made a paste out of garlic, ginger, turmeric, and cilantro stalks. Toasted some coriander seeds, then ground them and added to the paste. Moistened the paste with coconut milk for a wet masala. Briefly sauteed a whole serrano that i had slit lengthwise on one side. Added some cumin seeds. sauteed briefly and then added the masala. Cooked it about 2 minutes until it darkened a bit and thickened. Added the chicken. After a minute or so, I added the cauliflower, sweet potato, and corn. Stirred and added coconut milk. Then poured into a casserole dish. Topped it with some crumbled matzo. Put the lid on and popped it into the oven. Pulled the lid off for the final 15 minutes. When it came out of the oven I sprinkled it with chopped cilantro.

20. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I sense tater tot hotdish coming up... lol