Attending more than one culinary school?

Discussion in 'After Culinary School' started by raelah, Jul 25, 2016.

1. raelah

I'll be graduating shortly and was wondering what you thought about attending another culinary school to further your career? Is it a wise move? Or would it be better off to be getting out there and working under different chefs? I've now met a few people who have attended two different culinary schools and it tends to help them get a job easier than those who only went to one school.

What do you think?

Thanks for the input!
  2. nicko

nicko Founder of Staff Member

I would say absolutely not one is enough. With this field your best "next move" would be to get into a restaurant. If I were interviewing someone I would wonder why they felt the need to attend a second school. 
    flipflopgirl likes this.
  3. foodpump

Your ultimate goal is to get a great job, right?

Then I think you need to talk to employers, not culinary graduates, it's the employers who are offering the gigs, right?

Every employer I've ever met (confession here, I are one too...) is more concerned with practical work experience than the amount or pedigree of schooling.  Basically we (employers) are looking for two things:  Speed, and ability to work with others. After that, the ability to follow orders (last thing we want to hear is "But we learned a different way at school, so I'm not doing it your way...") Then cleanliness, punctuality, and not forgetting the ability to leave your phone alone for several hours at a stretch.

Hope this helps....
  4. kaiquekuisine

What if you don´t even learn anything new?

My first chef ever attended 2 culinary schools. One in my country and she attended LCB. She said everything she was taught in one school she learned at the other. 

Also having 2 schools isn´t going to be so helpful if you can´t take direction, you don´t have speed and a skillset, things that you get through work and on the job experiences. 

I didn´t go to culinary school, i was just willing to work the ladder, and work my way up. Yet the amount of experience i have and my skillset speak for themselves. 

Today i work in a kitchen where only one person went to culinary school... the restaurants owner/chef. 

The line cooks didn´t go to school. When we get an intern or a stage (attending culinary school) we struggle to have them do the simplest jobs in the shortest amounts of time. Most don´t even attempt to jump on the line. Simply because they don´t have that work experience to keep up. A piece of paper can help you get your foot through the door, put it isn´t that piece of paper that´s going to help you keep your job. 

School is great, but experience is better. 

Having both is awesome. 

If i had gone to school, i probably wouldn´t have to had gone through such a hassle working the ladder, probably would have learned classic techniques, and the correct way of doing many things. Again, less of a hassle, but i don´t regret doing what i did in this industry. 

I would say, now that you are already finishing up culinary school take the time to work a bit, learn from other chefs, network, and get some experience. 2 schools isn´t going to give you all the culinary knowledge in the world. In fact a chef learns everyday, until his last day. 

Now it´s time for you to have some fun, and maybe struggle, go get a job and learn in a different enviroment, in a different type of institute, the back of the house!!

Those are my 2 cents... 

obs. I didn´t go to culinary school, but i did go to tradeschool (weaker form of teaching then most culinary schools).

I learned the basics in a short period of time at trade school, learned a lot on the job, a lot through books, and a lot staging. 

Going to trade school, just helped getting my foot through some doors, and getting some opportunities to start working in a kitchen (not always cooking in one though). Thus i had to work my way up. 
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  5. chefwriter

I agree with the others. Play time is over. Time to get to work. 

As a culinary school graduate, I can tell you from experience that school can show you a great overview of the culinary world. 

But you don't get experience in school. 

Go find a job in the best kitchen you can and keep learning.