Athenaeus

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pmash, Mar 31, 2003.

1. pmash

pmash

Hello everyone,

Came across a great quote and was hoping that someone out there might be able to give me some history on it.

"We may live without poetry, music and art. We may live without conscience and live without heart. We may live without friends, we may live without books, but civilized man cannot live without cooks"

The quote is said to be from Athenaeus. I was hoping to find out if it was from a particular writing and time frame.

Thank you all

Patrick:chef:

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Pmash, you've come to the right place for insights on a quote like that.

Since you're new here, we invite you to stop in the Welcome Forum and introduce yourself. Please get acquainted with all of our forums. We'll look forward to reading your posts.

Welcome!
    Mezzaluna

3. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The quotation of which you speak is from Owen Meredith (1831–1891), British poet, diplomat.

4. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    The quote belongs to Owen Meredith , indeed, but this particular quote is used as an Introduction in the edition of Athenaeus, The Deipnosophists, by Loeb Classical Library, translated by C.B.Cullick!

That's why many people attribute this quote to Athenaeus. Not me, the original :)

Welcome to Chef Talk