at long last

Joined Feb 21, 2001
I basically have had only Mondays to work on it and it's hard to say how much time I've put in, working alone. If someone really wanted to, and had lots of help, I think this could be done in a month of weekends, but starting from scratch with masonry skills was a drawback. I just went out and wiggled the front arch and I don't know if it's going to be the right thing. But since I can't even light a fire in it for at least two weeks, I have time to fix it. Toughest thing is going to be cleaning up the yard around it and moving the pergola which is now smothered in wisteria that never blooms, but spends all it's time and energy climbing into the Yoshino cherry.

Joined Aug 14, 2000
"the pergola which is now smothered in wisteria that never blooms, but spends all it's time and energy climbing into the Yoshino cherry."

Don't you hate it when that happens?

Joined Feb 21, 2001
I bought this Yoshino cherry at Home Depot about 12 years ago as a sapling. It's huge. It has a spread at the bottom of the first branches of about 40 feet. In the spring the pink blossoms are blinding. There is a stone paver patio under it, in the corner of the fence, but it's unusable because it's so dark and damp under all the time. I want to move that over next to the oven. More digging, more lugging,but if I can get it done before the ground freezes then the view out the kitchen window will be so much nicer when the snow thaws in the spring and I won't be looking at construction debris and muck.

Joined Jul 24, 2001
Judging from my experience with constructing my oven some years ago, it seems to me that you are practically ready.
I hope that you have saved a good quantity of wood because the first time you need to fire the oven for hours in order to remove humidity.
Good luck :)

Send some pics when it's done!

Joined Feb 21, 2001
Just lit the first fire, a couple of sheets of newspaper, even tho the chimney isn't really finished. But the smoke went up and out like it was supposed to. I also double checked with the fire department and they said it was perfectly ok, as long as they know when I fire it up. What a long strange trip it's been. As soon as I mix a little more mortar and lay 24 bricks which I already know right where they're going, I'm done with the oven enough to use it, and to worry about dressing up the outside of it later.

Joined Feb 21, 2001
Will have some pics of the oven later this week, but in breaking news, the earthy crunchy grocery store made me an offer today to be the full time pastry chef, so I accepted, and gave my notice at the country club. There's actual growth potential there, paid vacation in the summer, if I want, cheaper health insurance, a whole lot of stuff I don't get now besides the opportunity to make what I make. Plus I've already worked there for over a year so it's not like I'm walking into the situation cold without knowing anything about the place. But geez, I hope this works out.

Joined Feb 21, 2001
You know, they're still in the stupid camera. I'll get to them eventually. I haven't used it since thanksgiving, been really busy at my new job with the terrible health insurance (almost-major bummer there) but I have thursday off and I'm going to light it to try and dry the insulation around it.

Joined Feb 21, 2001
I think I need a refresher course in black and white photography. Or maybe it was the weak battery. This is before I insulated it. The tarp comes off tomorrow. Don't know what I'll be baking or cooking, but something.

a fire last fall

Latest posts

Top Bottom