Aspics

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by loomchick, Apr 4, 2018.

1. loomchick

loomchick

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I remember as a child helping my mother make aspics. Does anyone do this any more? I'm still not sure what the purpose of an aspic was/is.

2. dogfood

dogfood Banned

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Essentially a gelatin lined meat/pate`.. in a terrine/mold.
    Was a yesteryear "in thing/fancy" presentation.. doubt it's terribly popular lately..
    Made one many years ago for a holiday dinner, tasted nice, but went over like a lead balloon.

3. sgmchef

sgmchef

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Hi loomchick!

In Europe they still use aspic to seal fruit desserts.

Beyond that application there is always the use of good old---------

J - E - L - L - O!

4. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Back in the day.....

An aspic was a labour of love. It wasn't jello (the history on jello is nothing short of surprising, check it out) nor did aspic come out of a container in granular form with a fancy German name.

Instead it was a clarified meat broth, enriched with gelatinous cuts-- veal or pork trotters, or chicken wings and feet. It takes a bit of skill and a fair bit of effort to do it this way, and tastes nothing at all like the commercial variety.

Both aspic and melted fat were also used to seal containers--terrines or jars, for example, or poured through the vent chimneys of dough encrusted pates (pate en croute) to keep air out, preventing oxidation and retarding spoilage.

allanmcpherson and drirene like this.
  5. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Remember it well. I worked Garde Manger for Hyatt in Chicago O'Hare back in the late 70's. Aspics and chaud-froid work were regular items on Sunday buffets. I did a turkey, 2 hens, and a salmon all draped in a creamy off white aspic then decorated, then sprayed with a white wine aspic to give it a golden hue. The mirrors they were displayed on also had golden aspic squares (very tiny). They were beautiful and time consuming. I usually started on Thursday for Sunday brunch. It WAS a labor of love.

morning glory and harpua like this.
  6. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    morning glory likes this.
  7. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I was working at a hotel, in New Orleans, in the early 90s and it was my job, as culinary intern, to do the Aspic and chaud-froid work for Easter and Mother's Day brunch buffets. Most of the pieces weren't "edible" but were for show although, technically they could have been eaten. I would do a couple of hams and couple of whole turkeys for display but also had to create the smoked salmon displays, using Aspic also.

8. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  9. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    The western palette is really averse to things gelatinous or chewy. The concept of eating something just for texture is totally foreign here.

IMO an aspic restaurant would be a hit in China.