asking for recipes

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by siduri, Feb 5, 2010.

1. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I just wanted to point out something and don;t want to offend anyone because i know people mean well. But when someone asks on the forums if anyone has a recipe, it isn;t helpful to tell them to look on Google.

There is every possible crap recipe on google, and they are mixed in with very good ones. But we can assume that if someone on the forums gives a recipe, it's one they;ve tried and works. We can ask for clarification if parts of the recipe are not clear. It's an entirely different thing.

We all know about google, that's probably how we found the forum in the first place.
    If we wanted a random google recipe we would have looked.

Also how many people write here on these forums to say the cake or whatever they found on google came out bad? Many! Because internet is not reliable. Any idiot can post something on internet and there is more bad information than good. Here there is, at least, a little accountability, despite the screen names.

So if you don;t know a recipe someone asks for, probably someone else will. Hopefully no one will just do a google search and post a random recipe, at least not without saying how they found it and that they haven't tested it.

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    And before posting any recipe it would be a good idea to review the above sticky on the use of copyrighted materials.

3. allie

allie

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I have asked on many forums about a recipe for something I want to make. I can't tell you how many times I've had someone actually google a recipe for me. If I ask, it's because I don't want to waste money and time on a recipe that might not work. I have no problem with someone giving me to a link and telling me they have made the recipe before and it's a good one or someone who is more experienced than I am telling me why it will or won't work. I can google myself but have learned over the years that recipes aren't always accurate.

4. amazingrace

amazingrace

Exp:
    At home cook
    As long as we're ranting...

It urks me no end when someone posts: "Hi, I'm a culinary student. My assignment is to make *this or that* (or a variation thereof), does anyone have a recipe?" -- in effect, asking the contributors to the forum to do his homework for him(or her). It seems to me the whole point of being in school is to learn how do it yourself, to research the ingredients and work up your own recipe! Now, those people should be sent to Google!!

5. allie

allie

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I have to agree with you on that! As I tell my own school-aged children, if I wanted to do homework, I'd be in school myself.

It also bugs me to have people posting recipes or links to recipes when they're only spamming for traffic to their own site or blog. Either contribute something useful or do what I do most of the time, read and learn and be quiet!

6. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I don't mind the students. I get the impression they aren't given the tools to find things themselves (that is, nobody shows them how to go about it, what is a good source, what is a bad source, etc), and who says word of mouth isn't also research. Actually, google is the last source i'd want MY students using! It's too hard to figure out what is crap and what is serious.

But i get annoyed when someone posts a specific question and gives it a title that is so generic you have to open the post to find out what it's about. The title should tell you what the question is about. Generic titles like "help" or "i have a question" annoy me. At least say Help me with a banana bread recipe or i have a question about chocolate. If i never make banana bread or am not interested in chocolate I won't open your post, and if i do or am, then i will. It saves all of us time.

7. rexxar

rexxar

Exp:
    Line Cook
    i hate that student help topics if they haven't done any reaserch but we i'll help them out if i can

:bounce:
    :bounce::bounce:
    :bounce::bounce::bounce:
    i love these things

8. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    It bugs me that some people are not willing to do any kind of rsearch to find recipes and instead expect others to do it for them.

There are dozens of good sources for recipes including the library for those on a budget.

If someone posts and says, "I have looked in a number of places for a recipe and I'm confused by the variations (or whatever) and I need help" I think that's very reasonable. But to say, in effect, "I haven't made any effort to open a book and I want you to do it for me" is annoying.

9. elizabethbryce@

[email protected]

Exp:
    Other
    Good post. Good advices so far. I hope everyone will read this....make it a sticky or something...

Personally, I do not give advice on recipes I have not tested because I am the sort of person who would pick my meat or seafood from the freezer and look at the internet for ideas. Then go to my pantry and see what I have. Even if I can substitute a certain ingredient for something else, I still will not follow a recipe to the letter because it is just me not to do it. Most of the time it turns out really well and husband and dog asks for seconds. :bounce:Yes, doggy get his share of people's dinner around here...:chef:

Besides, my husband is well trained... one word from me and he does what he wants. It works every time. But this is another story for another time....:eek:

10. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    It sounds like you take this as a class instead of as a social network between people who like food. If i understand what you;re saying, one should check out dozens of recipes and compare them before asking.

I, and many here, would rather ask my friends, hey, do any of you have a tried and true recipe for this? We get to know each other and most people here like food and have good ideas about what is a good recipe.
    And if you think that puts people out, then why would they bother to answer? It's not obligatory, after all. If i answer a request for a recipe i do it because i enjoy sharing recipes. That's the whole point of a forum as opposed to a cookbook. We participate because we like to. And if we don't like to, we just read the answers others post, and enjoy it that way. No sweat.

But in any case, saying "check on google" is not helpful. We all know google. We don't need to be reminded.

I have plenty of Italian/English dictionaries in book and internet form, but when i want to know what a word means and my Italian husband is here, i'll just ask him. It's easier, I can ask questions about his answer like about specific usage and nuance, and it's part of a relationship! Telling me "look it up" would be ridiculously didactic and I might use the dictionary to bop him on the head! :)

11. oregonyeti

oregonyeti

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Good point and I'm with you! Thanks.

12. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Siduri, you are hilarious. But I love your logic :D Books are meant for many uses, keeping doors ajar when they want to blow closed, flattening a book you may have left outside in the rain, tossing at cats when they are clawing the furniture, occasionally- reading, but yes - best for bopping people on the head :)

If a person has a problem making a recipe work for them - they should post it in detail - and state what your problem was. Someone will have a solution.

If you need a recipe for a dish - ask. But the "Google It" answer (which I'm ashamed to say I've done myself) is no solution. If you have a good, well used recipe - share if you care to.

As to the culinary students wanting homework answers - perhaps they haven't been taught how to use resources. Maybe they haven't had access to a good enough education to teach them how to research it for themselves. They've taken the trouble to find this forum - that gains a point in their favour. They've more than likely looked at many forums to find the one where they think they may find a decent answer - so we could, in reality, take that as a compliment. Sure, you'll get the odd one who is looking for someone to do their homework. I notice those posts don't get many answers.

K - lecture over and hopping off my soapbox :D

13. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Deleted...my oops

14. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    :lol:

Yeah, but don't get me wrong. I have tons of cookbooks, as i do every kind of book. I often read cookbooks while i have breakfast if i'm alone. I do research recipes frequently. But not everyone can afford to have good cookbooks, some are novice cooks and are making their very first wobbly steps to learn to cook something and not just heat it up (and we want to make this easy for them, right?), and many recipes are not in any of my cookbooks - which is when i, for instance, ask if anyone knows how to make a good topfenpalatschinken or eszterhaszytorte.

I do look on google, of course, but I got fed up after scrolling through about fifty recipes for topfenpalatschinken, most of them in german, and all very different from one another. No way to know if any particular recipe is any good, has been actually tested, is full of typos or not, etc. To get a cookbook published, you have to have a certain minimum level of quality (though there are plenty of bad mistakes in published books too) and you have to pass some sort of screening by the publishers who don't want to be known for publishing bad cookbooks.

Internet, however, is a whole 'nother story! Any fool can put things on internet. You will find every sort of crap, every sort of stupid information randomly mixed in with pearls of quality. But to get the most hits, to be the first one on a google search, you need to know how to design websites, but don't need to know anything about cooking!

15. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    I agree with actually reading the cookbooks - it just painted a very amusing picture of you bopping your well meaning hubby on the head with one, is all.

When you brought up the topic of topfenpalatschinken I went a-googling too. Got no solid answer either - very frustrating. The 'net is a mixed blessing.

16. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    >you have to have a certain minimum level of quality (though there are plenty of bad mistakes in published books too) and you have to pass some sort of screening by the publishers who don't want to be known for publishing bad cookbooks.<

Boy of boy, Siduri, we could argue that point. But maybe you've been lucky, and have only been exposed to cookbook publishers who maintain those standards. The fact is, though, many don't.

As to googling, I sometimes use it sarcastically. F'rinstance, one of my least favorite things is when somebody starts a post, "I've searched everywhere for X and can't find....." Uh, huh. So I google X and lo and behold, there are 7500 entries. But before doing that I search our own archives, and, wadda ya know, there are 16 threads on that very subject---including one only two posts down on the list.

I guess "everywhere" doesn't mean the same thing to everybody.

As to the questions from students. Yeah, I share the opinion that they need to do their own homework. But I also have to wonder, given the volume of such requests that we get, exactly what is it that they're teaching in the culinary schools?

17. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Once a poor student was asking how to roll out pastry without using waxed paper because his teacher expected him to do it and when i asked if she hadn't shown him how, he said no. I am also a teacher (not of cooking), and i see that often colleagues have this idea about students that they're stupid, but they don't bother to teach in a way they will understand. Being in the field and knowing what i know, i generally give the student the benefit of the doubt. And if he's asking, it means he does want to know.

Also, for term papers, I refuse to accept any references that are internet sites - only professional journals are acceptable. One of my first assignments is to analyse a random internet "article" and find the defects in it.

Finding 7500 entries to a google search is tantamount to not finding any. How can you possibly pick one out of that mass of stuff! I do admit i have a hard time searching things on the cheftalk forums. It seems to use different criteria than google, you can't use the what do they call it, boolean method, the AND and OR and - etc.

About the books, well yes, i have seen plenty of crap books out there, but i don't buy those. But at least someone has edited the english in most reputable publishing houses! And not all cookbooks actually get published.

18. kcz

kcz

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I don't find googling to be much help in finding recipes, but epicurious.com is a great resource, IMHO. At least some of the recipes have already been tested by BA or Gourmet, and the reviews and comments by previous users are extremely valuable in tweaking the recipe. I'm not usually disappointed when I use one of their recipes.

19. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I find googling for recipes quite productive generally. Bing is supposed to have a specialized recipe search but I've not tried it.

20. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    I guess I'm outnumbered here but I still think people should make some kind of effort first. Trying something out first and then asking for advice is fine but (IMHO) looking for shortcuts is, what? I dunno, a bit presumptuous, perhaps?

I get the whole sharing thing and I know that's what this forum is about. I too enjoy sharing what knowledge of cooking I have aquired over the years. Of all my posts on this site only a handfull have been recipes shared and fewer still asking for recipes. Perhaps there's a lesson there?? I'll leave the sharing of recipes to those who have no qualms about it.