Chef Forum banner
61 - 80 of 526 Posts
In Hindi language it is known as degimirch, in Turkish , pul biber. The greeks call it piperia, while in Mandarin it is called tianjiao and in Swahili its pilipili.

Its great in sobrasada, chorizo , salchichon an fuet. Viva "La Chinata".

New Question :

What can you do to Cassava to make a very popular dessert ?

Was hoping to be able to keep couple of months, well 1 month minimum. This is just for home use, we are coming into summer and it's salad and stir fry time, so wanted to have some on hand. It may be better just making them fresh, but for the tiny amount one would use to sprinkle on these dishes, seems like a fuss, so was wanting to store some.

Thanks for the reply :)

The fish is getting more famous....

it has lethal amounts of the poison called "tetrodotoxis" and is usually found in the liver and ovaries and skin.

what food item has highest amout of iron ?

Fugue is my state, fugu is my fish.

Iron: Setting aside food made with additives, I'd have to go for liver as a heme iron source, and soy beans as a non-heme source.

What food was the subject of humanity's first known advertisement?

BDL

Yes, it was a fruit.......but apple was never mentioned. If I am wrong, please correct me....I don't mind it at all..

But the problem DC is , are we on the same slow boat to China as Chef BDL ? :lol:

curry=sauce? Is it that simple, but surely there must be other parameters/guidlines. I know what I expect in a curry, and that may be a limited outlook. However, there must be at least some basic ingredients/requirements to classify it as a curry. Or does it just mean a spicy/flavourful sauce?

To be sure it can contain many or few things, and a huge variation in ingredients which the curry/sauce compliments....e.g. fish, lamb, beef, vegetables etc. It may use coconut cream/milk or not. Ad infinitum.

Maybe this is not the spot for this question. I'll not post an answer on the beef.

Chef BDL,

Thank you for clearing up your question, you get 100 points for stumping us ! And folks the answer to that question is a liquid which we all enjoy......BEER ! Merci...worth the wait !....looking forward to more pearls....

DC, Shroomgirl is right....

Thoughts on Curry.....Taken from the web:
"Curry is derived from the Tamil word kari, which means sauce.
Different types of curry use different main ingredients, depending on the region of Asia or India you are in. Curry from the Punjab region, for instance, involves wheat instead of rice, and is heavy on the butter and cream. Malayali curry usually has coconut and coconut milk, as well as bay leaves. Tamil curry, however, is probably what most western people think of when they think of curry. Tamil curry refers to shallow-fried meat or vegetables cooked along with dry spices.
It's the spices that most people think of as making curry, well, curry. That's because in many parts of the world you can buy a prepared blend of spices known as curry powder that is used to make a dish of curry. To make things more confusing, curry powder may contain curry leaves, which come from the curry tree (or curry leaf tree), which is native to India.
Curry leaves are used sort of like bay leaves in Indian cooking, but they are not the only ingredient in curry powder. Curry powder is like chili powder-everyone has his or her own recipe and each concoction is a little bit different.
One common thread in many curry powder mixtures is turmeric, which gives curries a distinctive yellow color. Other popular spices in curry powder include coriander, ginger, garlic, chilies, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, cumin and tamarind.
The main types of curry you might encounter in an Indian or Thai restaurant are red, yellow, and green curry. Red curry is made with red chiles, while green curry is made with green chiles. Yellow curry is made mostly with turmeric and cumin, though it may include hot peppers or pepper flakes as well. "

"does grass fed beef have more tendon? "
I am going to guess "NO", as always correct me if I am wrong.....

What does chocolate do to the brain ?

It's something to do with the release of endorphines or about neurotransmitters :smiles:

I'm off to a St Andrew's Day event on Saturday night - although SAD was yesterday! We will be fed traditional Scots fare - including haggis. We are not the only country to have a similar dish - so why do so many foreigners turn green at the mention of haggis?

I believe that there are alot of different opinions about it, unless someone actually has tasted it, it would be hard for someone to make an opinion. Haggis is found in most of the Irish Pubs here....I have had it.....je suis pas vert...
"Oui" , there are Pubs here "aussi" besides Bistro.

Q:

Chartreuse the name of a liqueur, but what else is it also known as ?

61 - 80 of 526 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.