Ask the person below

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Because Granny Smiths are not trendy anymore? Good question.

Why is creamed corn so good and different than kernel corn?

Joined Nov 5, 2007
When I was in Paris, a pint cost about 3 - 4 hundred Francs, as I recall.

Oh, you didn't mean pounding that kind of pint? I wonder how many countries actually still use pints and pounds, as well as ounces for both weight and volume? I'm not going to sweat it.

Do you use salt in a sweat or a saute?

mjb.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Don't know about best, but trout is good. Trout is good for breakfast too.

Where can I buy red fleshed apples?

Joined Feb 13, 2008
No. An Imperial pint is 20 ounces, while a pound is 16.

More importantly, Alton Brown did not originate the saying. It was a cliche before his grandmother was born. If you're looking for orignality, Alton ain't it. On the other hand, if you like a junior high sense of humor combined with all 'round qurkiness, he's your guy.

Who's the best cook currently doing a teaching show on TV. (Not who's the best teacher, or best Iron Chef, or who has the best show. This is "best cook.")

BDL

Joined Feb 13, 2008
Hundreds of good choice, choosing between them depends on individual taste. As Alton Brown says, "If it's grilled fish, I like it." No. Wait, that's me.

If you haven't yet tried it, try grilled halibut fin muscle, aka engawa in Japanese. Light and fluffy. Albacore tataki does it for me, too.

Who are the best and worst Iron Chefs, respectively? (Mario doesn't do the show enough to count anymore, so no picking him either way.)

BDL

Joined Oct 17, 2009
I don't watch the show so I can't say (and won't pose a question) but I'll venture that the one containing the most iron was Bender B. Rodríguez.

Joined Feb 13, 2008
Ground cocoa, plus a good diastatic malt.

Have to disagree with you slightly on broiled tuna. It's a difficult fish for many cooks, in that it's wonderful when properly grilled under (or over) high heat, to very rare (like tataki), rare, or even barely medium-rare; but once it's cooked too long and/or beyond barely medium-rare, it might as well be canned tuna -- too dry, too tough, too strongly flavored.

Awfully good smoked though.

Meffy's Bender answer was funny if you haven't outgrown cartoons -- which I haven't. But we're still not getting any real action on the Best Iron Chef or on the Best TV Cook questions.

Here's another vidiocratic poser: Who's the best teaching cook currently on TV?

Just another vidiot,
BDL

Joined Jul 28, 2006
Ground cocoa, plus a good diastatic malt.
Okay, but in what proportions?

Have to disagree with you slightly on broiled tuna.
Oops, my bad. In my haste, I misread it to say grilled.

Here's another vidiocratic poser: Who's the best teaching cook currently on TV?
In my opinion, all the "good" ones have passed on.

Joined Aug 18, 2007
>Meffy's Bender answer was funny if you haven't outgrown cartoons -- which I haven't. <

What are you doing tonight BDL? Taking over the world? :lol:

~Greatest TV chef teacher, for beginners anyway must be Delia smith. Do you know her outside the UK?

Is there much difference between the different colours of sweet potato?

Joined Jul 28, 2006
The darker ones have more carotene, and seem to be sweeter. I always try to get the darkest flesh available.

Joined Jan 5, 2007
Got to agree with Bughut - whilst I have a sneaking admiration for Valentine, too - he isn't much of a teacher!

How can anyone bring themselves to eat foie gras?

Joined Oct 17, 2009
1) Because if they didn't, who else would?

2) Because it makes a mighty poor substitute for automatic transmission fluid.

3) Because anything made from a part of the swine whose name sounds like "cologne" must smell good, n'est-ce pas?

4) Efficiency and economy taken to horrifying extremes -- that would be my "real" guess.

To fortify themselves, they think: "Hélas! -- but at least it's not andouiette."

Q: What does the word "parve" (or "pareve") often printed on the packaging of Jewish foods mean?

Joined Jul 28, 2006
Parve means the food contains neither meat nor dairy, so it may be served with either.

oops...keep forgetting to ask a question...

How many tablespoons in a cup?

Joined Feb 26, 2007
Not posting an answer or question to follow this - just need more info....are we speaking imperial or metric?

2 different languages :)

Top Bottom