Ask the person below

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
I'm gonna make a game. You ask a question and someone answers it. The person who answers it asks another question. There is only one rule. The question needs to be food related. Keep the questions and answers to 1 or 2 sentences and no arguing.

I'll start:

Is root beer really made from roots?

Joined Jan 5, 2007
Yes, but not just roots!

When will the USA start to use metric for recipes?:p

Joined Sep 29, 2009
Glucose. It crack more easily for hard candies. Sucrose comes in second because it behaves well in beverages. Fructose is just a bad idea because we can't easily digest it.

Ricotta... Al Forno or Salata and why?

Joined May 22, 2009
Prosciutto because it crisps better and I'm Sicilian :)

Why is it so hard to find a good red sauce in restaurants?

Joined Jan 5, 2007
A pearled starch, sort of like tapioca. A staple of British boarding school cuisine for puddings (believe me, I was a sufferer!).

Why does the USA use Italian words for certain foodstuffs where the UK use the French version - eg zuchini for courgette - or egg plant for aubergine?

Joined Feb 26, 2007
I think the US kicked out a lot of the English terms when they kicked the Brits out in the long long ago :)

Can I use a stick blender for whisking egg whites for a souffle? (I am too lazy to use a whisk :D )

Joined Aug 18, 2007
Ha Ha ha! and then a further Ha ha!! Nice one DC. I've totally got the giggles now.

I'd say no to the stick blender,unless you have whisk attachments.

Smoked paprika. sweet or hot...I 've got both (la chinata) Confused sometimes which to use for chilli con carne

Joined Sep 29, 2009
Sweet for cooking, toasted spicy for seasoning.

What was the original purpose of confit?

Joined Feb 26, 2007
For preserving meat prior to refrigeration. And being really tasteee :)

Can I bone a leg of lamb for roasting, then put the bone back in, truss it to cook so it's sweet, then take the bone out after to carve. As the bone gives the lamb more flavour and it would be easier to carve once the bone is removed. I mangle too many legs to count....or does it sound like too much trouble and I should just learn to carve?

(Sorry I know that's an overlong question)

Joined Sep 29, 2009
You could break down the primal leg into its parts and then tie it all back together with linen twine for roasting. You could even butter the bone and season the inside of the meat before tying. That would be oh so tasty.

Why should you never cook egg plant(Aubergine for those across the pond) without salt purging first?

Joined Oct 9, 2008
According to Alice In Wonderland, mustard comes from mines.

How long can you keep cooked lobster shells frozen in a chest freezer?

Joined May 22, 2009
In theory it's 9 - 12 months, but I'd go no more than 6.

Why are Granny Smith apples so hard to find at Farmer's markets?

Top Bottom