As a newbie here is my pet peeve!

Joined Nov 7, 2001
I've chatted on several other forums and did a search looking for additional ways to chat with fellow foodies! I found this site!

My pet peeve in the food world is, orange completely flavorless tomatoes. They are everywhere. Can we start a boycott of these imposters. I also belong to an organic and gourmet food co-op and would like to see if there are any others out there looking for better ingredients and going the extra mile for better ingredients.

Sincerely, Karla (my family's home chef!)

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Welcome to Chef Talk Karla!

The best way to protest about fruits and veggies of poor quality is not to buy them. . :)

My supermaket carries unripe tomatoes but a few years ago they started to carry georgous flavourful red, and ripe, tomatoes.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Hello Karla and welcome to Cheftalk.

As Isa just mentioned, don't buy and/or complain until you get understood!

;)

Joined Nov 7, 2001
Hi Kimmie,
I don't buy them. I also ask what type of tomatoe will be used in my salad, on my sandwhich, or in any other dish I order. Then I politely tell them to leave it off if it is not a naturally ripened tomatoe. But I still see these terrible examples of what a tomatoe is supposed to be, in the grocery, on the sandwhiches, in the salads. I just thought getting the masses involved may prove helpful in providing us with a better product in our local grocery when they can't be grown in our backyards. But, yes I did mean to complain about it. :confused:

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Do you have a farmers' market in your neck of the woods, Karla?

Try to look for Roma tomatoes (Plum tomatoes). During the winter months, use canned italian brands.

:rolleyes:

Joined Nov 7, 2001
Hi Kimmie,
I like the Muir Glen variety of tomatoe and yes about the farmers market but no local tomatoes at this season of the year. Actually the "Farmers Market" consists of folks pulled into the local retail parking lot selling produce from the bed of the truck! We're talking middle of Missouri town of 5000 with the local grocer stocking the longest shelflife products. AKA tasteless tomatoes (picked green and sprayed to ripen)! I bet you have a year round farmers market with real produce and real fresh fish and herbs and bakeries......

Joined May 6, 2001
Our very own "Shroomgirl" is the market master for the Clayton (St. Louis) market. I can assure you that she would never allow the kinds of tomatoes you speak of to be sold there. Unfortunately here in the mid-west (I'm in Illinois) our farmer's markets aren't year round. The last day of our (Springfield) season was October 31. Good luck on your quest for tasty tomatoes.:)

Joined Nov 7, 2001
60 miles north of Cloumbia, MO. I have an Amish family I get fresh produce from all summer. Even better then a farmers market. She goes into the garden and picks it on the spot! I love St. Louis and my husband and I get there as often as we can. Usually trying a new restaurant (often reviewed in the Post) when we can. Grenache was the last spot we tried. The food was very good. Karla

Joined Mar 13, 2001
KarlaT,

Our farmers' market will end soon. However, yes we will still have plenty of real produce (from California), and real fresh fish and herbs and bakeries all winter long. The tomatoes are not so great though...:eek:

Latest posts

Top Bottom