ARTHRITIS: GLUCOSAMINE & CHONDROINTIN SULFATE

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kokopuffs, Jul 12, 2001.

1. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    These two substances help to rebuild degenerated joints - somewhat. They may reduce pain. They are substances contained in the joints and articulations. However, the adult body no longer manufactures them so must be supplied exogenously. Start with a 3 month supply which is not cheap. [​IMG]

2. compassrose

compassrose

It's not just for arthritis, either. I've damaged my left knee joint and anterior cruciate ligament, and experienced almost immediate improvement when I started taking glucosamine. It used to give way under me when I so much as descended a flight of stairs; now, I run in 10Ks.

3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Well, then, let me be more precise. The substances aid in healing or reconstructing connective tissues and articulations. :cool:

4. pastachef

pastachef

Thanks for the information, Kokopuffs. I never realized that we have to take it because the body stops manufacturing the substance. I just started back on mine. [​IMG][​IMG]
    It makes you feel like this

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: Pastachef ]

5. jill reichow

jill reichow

I take them on a daily basis because of back issues and arthritus in my back. I missed a week two weeks ago and couldn't figure out why I was getting up still in the morning. When I figured it out, I was back on it immediately. Sure make moving around in the morning easier.

6. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I can't take Vioxx or Celebrex; maybe this is the way to go. Thanks for the infor, kokopuffs.

7. isa

isa

I don’t want to sound like a party pooper but please be careful of over the counter “natural” products. You should always ask your physician opinion before taking any new medication, ever if it is over the counter. Mixing medication can have some dire consequences.

8. pastachef

pastachef

You're right, Iza. Some of the herbal remedies have warnings about mixing with other medications. My doctor gave me the okay on glucosamine chrondroitin.

9. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Good point, Iza. I'm going to see a rheumatologist next week, and I'll ask him about it.

10. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I believe that both of those OTC products are related to shark cartilage. ;)

11. compassrose

compassrose

If I remember rightly, the chondroitin can also come from chickens (?).

While I am in theory in favour of speaking to one's doctor about natural products, in practice, I've found it's of very little use. Let's be honest here; unless you're VERY lucky in your doctor (and many of us don't have much choice, either because of insurance issues, or, as where I live, because of a shortage of doctors) you probably won't get one who's either 1. sympathetic or 2. has a clue.

Doctors are busy; I know some doctors. They'd like to have time to do research on these things, but most don't. That's why so many of them will toss you the latest and greatest drug -- they've got the handy glossy package and free samples right there conveniently on their desks, and they DON'T HAVE TIME to research the available alternatives.

Most doctors are also conditioned, by training and possibly inclination, to seek a "magic bullet" drug remedy for PROBLEMS, rather than a holistic lifestyle change to, hopefully, PREVENT problems. Natural remedies tend to require more of a whole-life change in order to really work properly.

It's not that I'm against the allopathic medical profession, but I think if one wants to know more about natural therapies, conventional doctors are not the ones to speak to, and many will be very negative and dismissive, without evidence to back things up. Certainly if one is already on, or being placed on, some conventional drug, one should make sure the doctor knows of any herbal remedies one is taking -- but I believe personal research is the most reliable way to gain information, or speaking to an appropriate natural therapist trained in an accredited program.

12. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    As an addendum to your post, CompassRose, there are also very reasonable chiropractors out there who are well versed in nutritional therapies. The problem is finding the right one.

I understand that simple gelcaps can furnish those compounds - I don't know for sure.

Some doctors don't have the time to learn about certain substances; conversely, many patients don't listen to what the doctor says. I've wasted enough breath to supply a Boeing 747 with enough oxygen to circle the globe. When does one draw the line with lecture?

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: kokopuffs ]

13. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    ooops again. darn these double clicks!

14. pastachef

pastachef

I've never been one to go for the holistic healing approach. When I am in pain I want relief quick, fast, and in a hurry. Sometimes that's not possible though, especially if you have a doctor who doesn't believe in real pain medications. I was influenced to try this product through tv advertisement. Being a non-believer as well as desperate, I was shocked to find that it worked for me. It probably doesn't work for everyone. We're all different. I can take a particular allergy medication over the counter and it works wonderfully in pill form. When I take the very same medication in capsule form it doesn't work as well.

15. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Different manufacturers of the same supplement use different excipients, that is, different fillers to bulk out the supplement. Excipients and not shape influence effectiveness. Whatever works for you.

16. pastachef

pastachef

Fillers. That's interesting. I knew it couldn't have anything to do with the shape of the medication.
    As to where the GC somes from, chickens or sharks...Its mine now :) LOL!

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: Pastachef ]