Arthritis diet

Joined Mar 3, 2002
What suggestions do you have on the use of diet to aid in treatment of arthritis?

Joined Aug 4, 2000
I can recommend cherries for gout. Gout is considered an inflammatory arthritide, aka an autoimmune disease where the body attacks its own tissues. As to the typical degenerative arthritide caused either by injury or by ageing, I have no recommendations.

Perhaps MSM, GLUCOSAMINE, CHONDROINTIN and SHARK CARTILAGE. Shark fin, perhaps.

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Mezz:

that's exactly what I'm saying. Rheumatoid Arthritis is also and autoimmune disorder whereas Osteoarthritis is and aka for DJD, degenerative joint disease caused either by ageing or trauma.

Joined Mar 3, 2002
It's osteoarthritis, from both causes. Not the sort of degeneration I favor. :eek:

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Do not confuse osteoarthritis with R.A.; they both occur for different reasons.

OE - due to pure degeneration from trauma and/or age;

RA - due to attack by the body's own defense mechanisms, its own immune system.

See the difference in cause, now?

Joined Mar 3, 2002
I understand that arthritis can have different causes. But:

My MD says what I have is osteoarthritis. My question is how does one know the difference symptomatically? That is, how does HE know that is osteo, not rheumatic? Are there differences in the symptoms?

Joined Aug 4, 2000
RA is bilateral and symmetric:

1. It affects both knees and/or both hands simultaneously. The joints on both appendages are hot, red and swollen - perhaps accompanied by fever.

2. Degeneration at the articulation is even; the joint space is decreased evenly, by the same amount all along the articulation.

Osteoarthritis is unilateral and asymmetric:

1. Affects only one joint at one appendage. Although the joint may be swollen it's usually neither red nor hot.

2. Degeneration along the articulation is uneven: none here lots there. Spurring and increased bone density are evident.

Also an arthritide panel done by blood test will reveal elevations, for RA, of certain substances like special antibodies characteristic of RA: Rheumatoid Factor among others.

Xrays will reveal other visual characteristics that were explained above.

Enough of Chiropractic 101!

Joined Mar 3, 2002
You've confirmed my MD's diagnosis. He'd be so pleased. :)

I've been doing physical therapy, which is helping, but oh so slowly. I've resisted suggestions to take oral steriods again, as I think they cause weight gain - which is counterproductive.

Losing a few pounds will help. To that end, I thought I'd take up ceramics again. It will be a gentle form of exercise kneading the clay, etc. And unlike kneading dough, there'll be no product to eat.

Top Bottom