Artesia in Southern La.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
John Besh is amazing....40 minutes outside of New Orleans in Abita Springs, John found this old house while he was hunting mushrooms (YOU know I like this guy already)
Foie Gras terrine, warm with cherry compote
hot fresh inhouse made broiche toast, Sauturn
(not the car the drink gooby speller). White truffle risotto, lamb 3 ways....seafood bisque to die for (and I'm tough on soups)
....Wonderful guy, wonderful place too bad it's 11 hours away. (one of the few I pulled out my paper and pen and diagramed the plates.)

Joined Aug 11, 2000
John was one of the top ten chefs last year for Wine and Food....He also did a dinner at the Beard House...I love those Beard House mags....good ideas, Any way I had a house to sell in Baton Rouge and Abita is not ssoooo far away. When the Beard mag said he found restaurant on a mushroom foray that was all I needed. I'm not sure where he's worked...know several upscales in NO and France...he still goes back to France to do a Jazz Brunch every year (sounds like fun huh)

[This message has been edited by shroomgirl (edited September 02, 2000).]

Joined Aug 8, 2000
Do you know if he has a website? Does the Beard House have the mag on a website? I love to look at chef's recipes and/or menus.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Don't know about websites,just got on line recently. Beard Membership is a hefty $175 a year. Their publication is probably the most creatively influential I've seen.
Everyone puts out their best. If your in NYC it is absolutely the best deal in town!(except the $20.00 lunch series) Usually 5 courses of incredible food and good (not great) wine for under $100. We have 4 events in St. Louis every year...always a picnic in Sept. (9/16 this year) 600 people with 40 chefs cooking a dish (I made black trumpet duxelle on hot buttered crouton with a hit of tarragon) This year I'm cooking for the mushroom guys over that weekend oh well....2 places one girl.

Top Bottom