Arrowroot Starch

Joined May 1, 2001
I just acquired a large jar of arrowroot starch, and would like to use is as a substitute for corn starch to thicken sauces (I use corn starch to reduce the fat content compared to a roux-thickened sauce).

Does anyone know if I should alter the quantity, and by how much?

Joined Nov 13, 2002
Arrowroot is actually one of the better thickeners. It's fat-free and easy to digest, and flavorless. It will thicken at a low temperature and according to some sources, it has twice the thickening power of wheat flour.

Keep it in an airtight container and use within 2 months because its thickening ability begins to diminish with age.

Put 1 1/2 t. arrowroot in 1 T. cold water. Stir or whisk the cold mixture into 1 cup hot liquid at the end of cooking time. Stir until thickened, about 5 seconds. These proportions will make about 1 cup of medium-thick sauce, soup, or gravy. For thinner sauce, use 1 t. arrowroot. For thicker, use up to 1 T.

To replace cornstarch: Use 1 T. arrowroot in place of 2 t. cornstarch.

To replace flour: Use half as much arrowroot as flour. If the recipes calls for 1 T. flour, substitute 1 1/2 t. arrowroot.

Stir until just combined. If you overstir, it can make it thin again.

Joined Feb 4, 2001
Another good thing about arrowroot is that it cooks out clear so it is ideal to thicken stocks and things like lemon juice/ sugar solutions when you want a crystal clear presentation.

Dave

Top Bottom