Are you on time? Everytime?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by berndy, Jul 17, 2012.

1. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
  2. chefdave11

chefdave11 Banned

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  3. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Thank you so very much ChefDave for your help ./img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gif

I think this is a must read for all,especially for the young ones just starting their jobs,all jobs ,not only in the ones working in kitchens.

4. theperegrine

theperegrine

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Especially in our business of a thousand details, being late is unforgivable. In my experience, the only way to ensure everything gets done in time is religious observation of routine. As soon as someone is late, everyone else has to cover the slack, and the inevitable result is that productivity suffers and details are missed.

It may sound harsh, but if you're not going to come on time, don't come at all. Let me find someone else who will.

Now, I am speaking from the perspective of an opener. I have a very strict deadline that my team, both FOH and preppers, have to hit every day. There is no negotiation about what time my business opens.

I'm interested to know if people find the same stringency is necessary with night staff, who are relieving their counterparts. If you had a really talented individual who was chronically late, what would you do about it?

5. chefchrism

chefchrism

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    One of my biggest pet peevees is staff being late, I worked in a unionized place where in their collective agreement they were allowed a 5 minute grace period when starting there shift, which most of the staff took full advantage of until I started to hand out letters to the staff when they were late and after one coaching session with the shop steward and 3 more letters they where suspended for 3 days, It didn't matter if it was 1 minute past the grace period or 30 minutes everyone got letters, the union was pissed at me but they couldn't do anything because I was following to the letter the collective agreement. It took about 3 or 4 of the staff getting an unpaid holiday before they realized that I wanted them there on time or not at all. Being late is a sign of disrespect to your place of business and your co-workers.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  6. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I would not tolerate lateness.... I always asked if My time was less valuable than Their time, most could not answer this simple question.

7. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    QFT