Are you hip to rose hips?

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by midnight chef, Jul 22, 2012.

1. midnight chef

midnight chef

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I am seeking recipes using rose hips. I have a large bush growing at my new house with several rose hips growing on it and would like to find some home style recipes.

2. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I can't lay my hands on my Granny's receipt book, but here's a very similar one from the River Cottage site.  I adore apple and rose hip jelly, a gorgeous coloured, clear jam (or jelly).  Great on toast, but I've also used it as an accompaniment for roast pork.

http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/rosehip-and-apple-jelly/

3. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I love rose hips. They are very high in vitamin C and make a tasty tea-tart, but fruity.

Once while staying on Martha's Vineyard I noticed an abundance of rosebushes laden with large, soft rose hips. I picked a bunch of them and cooked them down with a little honey and mustard. After straining, it made a lovely sauce for grilled chicken.

I cooked some more and sweetened a bit more to make a thick jam for toast and waffles. Of course, these had some major seeds that needed straining out.

It's fun to experiment with wild foods and while researching indigenous American foods, I found that Native Americans often included rosehips when making pemmican.