Are you a good cook?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Nov 4, 2016.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm a little baffled by this question or any form of it. In often asked this and I never know how to answer. What do you say when people refer to your cooking? I know a lot of people who love to cook but I wouldn't consider them good cooks based on their results. Are all people who love to cook good at it?

2. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    No

3. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Always answer NO. They want you to cook for them for free.  Or they want you to spend an hour writing down a recipe that they will never make.

kokopuffs likes this.
  4. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    Q: "Are you a good cook?"

A: "Define good."
    A: "Only when I cook for myself. Why?"
    A: "Maybe, my Collie sure seems to like it."
    A: "The last time I answered yes to that question, it didn't end well."

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That is the worst!  I always get baited into explaining a dish and I fall for it because.... because I love explaining about my dishes and then those people never intend to make the dish.  

Although I must admit that last week someone did ask me how to go about making a butternut squash risotto and I give him my whole schpiel.  The next day he told me that he followed the recipe and then his wife told me it was the best risotto her husband had ever made so that's something at least.

I also hate it when people tell me they don't cook because they're too busy.  I don't understand that at all, are you saying that I must not have a job/life/family/career/social life to juggle?

6. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I agree with you Koukou, I think some people don't realise cooking doesn't need to take much time (although it can...)

7. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
         I've always replied, "Not as good a cook as I would like to be". 

I've met home cooks with tremendous natural talent and too many "professional" cooks who haven't bothered learning much but convinced themselves they had little left to learn.

I always give out recipes and tell the recipient, "I'll gladly give you the recipe but you won't make it this way". Inevitably they change ingredients or amounts and wonder why it didn't come out the same. 

I love when people ask me about food. I could talk about it all day long so I have found they don't really want to talk about it as much as I do. They are typically sorry they asked because I won't shut up until they find a reason to politely end the conversation and get away from me. Once in a while I find a like minded person but mostly on this forum.

8. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My Mom was a good cook. She learned how to cook back in the day when Moms stayed home. I feel she worked hard to make the food good for her family. She wanted to do the best she could for the ones she loved. In turn, we loved what she did for us. When I started my business I used this passion and love for wanting to do the best I could for my clients and customers. I guess it all boils down to passion and love for what your doing. Just because your a Chef doesn't mean your a good cook. I think we all have dishes we make that sets us apart. I have never had someone ask me if I was a good cook. If I did have someone ask, my answer would be, I try........

9. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    "I'm better than I used to be."

10. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I love to play basketball. I can still drain the net from the top of the key. Am I in the NBA? Not even close. Am I good at basketball? Depends upon the criteria used for judging and the opinion of the judge. All relative. To my youngest granddaughter, I am LeBron James.

Am I a good cook? Not as good as I am going to be. :~)

kaganos likes this.
  11. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I also think it's largely a matter of perspective.  I can make a good pie crust.  To many of the folks on this forum that's kind of an assumed basic skill.  However, to a lot of people who are not comfortable in the kitchen, I may as well say "I can build a nuclear reactor".   I also don't mind if people ask me to cook for them because my kitchen is such that I can cook and socialize at the same time.  It often gets people more interested in trying to do more when they watch someone and some of the mystique is removed.

12. margo conklin

margo conklin

Exp:
    At home cook
    Definitely.  I always go the extra mile to make my dishes scrumptiously delicious

13. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Best answers again ... as usual ... Buba and BillyB.

Chefbuba for basic honest simplicity and directness to the point.  

ChefBillyB for the beautiful compassionate "MOM" story that's not too long to make you wanna puke. 

My answer is nowhere in their league ... but it's mine. Me? A good cook? ... Yeah ... I'm damn good ... Do you wanna eat?

14. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Now that I know how sensitive you are, I'll PM you a inspirational quote of the day. 

15. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    My reply would be:  let me have you taste my chicken stock and tell me what else it needs - if anything!  Seems that these nouveau yuppie "chefs" know nothing about making a stock.

16. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Me a good cook? I'll let you decide.

But I won't deny my most awesome dish washing skills.

17. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I have a pork stock going on the stove at the moment. Been making stock for years. Amused by the "bone broth" trend.

mjb.

18. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    People tell me I should open a restaurant... I look at them and tell them I have no intention of working 80+ hours a week! Guess my food is okay!

19. melis

melis

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I cook some things very well. Some things I'm horrrible at. Baking? FORGET IT!). What i can do, that it seems many other people can't, is select really good recipes, or modify OK ones.

I learned basically by starting with thr Joy of Cooking and following the steps and reading the comprehensive definitions and instructions and built from there.

20. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I can bake... I just am not a fan of it!