Are we crazy?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Mar 11, 2014.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I just live food, ingredients, taking pictures of my food and sharing them. Don't we all? Does anyone in your real life think you're OTT and crazy? Sometimes people make fun of me.

2. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Yep, luckily my dad and brother like food too, and when we are all together their partners keep timing us to see how long we can have a conversation without mentioning food!
    I think our record is 4 minutes :)

3. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I end up talking about food even in funerals.

4. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    My whole family is nuts about food - however most of them are not good with its preparation - which I find kinda weird.  (maybe they are just using me)

At least they recognize that fact and eat over at our place lots they also eat out way to many restaurants in my opinion.

One really cool thing is they really like to shop so quite often they show up on my day off with a basket of goodies and special finds from the market or where ever!

A few years back when I had an 'unusual' 3 days off in a row, my uncle and brother in law showed up with a whole lamb, internal goodies and all.   Suffice to say it made for a pretty cool couple of days.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  5. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    A couple of days with lamb ? Now your talking my language.

Our family spends many weekends cooking at each other's homes. It's a way to decompress from "cooking" if that makes sense ?

No stress for baking or cooking for other people ,no deadlines on delivery , just figure out who is making which dish, bring it all in the kitchen, put on the music, glass of wine and a way we go.

If we are not doing that, then we are trying different restaurants to determine who makes the best types of food.

"It all happens in the kitchen"

ps getting youtubes and emails of recipes are a bonus.

6. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My wife enjoys my addiction - she gets to eat a fresh, tasty meal every day!

mjb.

7. jarmo

jarmo

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I get a lot of strange comments from my friends when I present my food creations on facebook...

8. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    People think I'm nuts when they see the cookbook bookshelf but they're always happy that I almost always bring something good to eat when I come for a visit.

9. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My facebook friends threaten me with bodily harm when I post food pictures.  If I don't make some for them ASAP ...

mjb.

10. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Oh God!! Laughed at this....

I dont think we are crazy, hell i know we are <_<. So crazy some of us work in this industry lololol. 

I tend to avoid talking about food though with my friends or family, i may end up insulting them with my knowledge in food, that or they will end up getting annoyed and insulting me /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

11. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    True for me too, I get all kinds of wow and yum comments on the foods I post, including some threats that I have to stop putting out good looking food or they invite themselves over.  But offline in real life I will get pretty unusual comments like "what's up with all the food pictures?" and I get the sense that people think I'm obsessed.  I may be obsessed.

Yesterday for example I made a beef barley mushroom soup.  I got a some excellent beef chuck, I cut some of it up into little cubes and seared it fast in the pot.  Then I set those aside. Then I filled the pot with water, deglazing the bottom with it and put in the rest of the beef and refrigerated the diced meat.  Skim skim skim. .  Into the pot I threw my aromatics including onion, celery, carrot, garlic, a parmesan rind, dried porcini, tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme, and peppercorns.  I let that simmer for 4 hrs and strained.  Then I strained, and kept the broth at a very low simmer, adding those reserved cubes of steak in for an hour.  Then I threw in the barley for another 45min.  Finally I sauteed some chopped crimini mushrooms in butter and threw those in right at the end.  It was such a flavorful meaty soup!!  Tender meat, that lovely chewy barley and sauteed springy mushroom all perfectly went together in the rich and dark broth.  Then my toddler wouldn't eat it!!!!

12. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    LOL!! That was a good laugh. My toddler loves my cooking. For example I make his burgers by mixing finely minced shallots, garlic, S & P into the meat before forming the patties, grill them to perfection, mix ketchup & mustard, add some Comté cheese, slice of tomato and onion, grilled bun... perfect. My kid says:

- Dad you're such a good cook, that's the absolute best burger I've ever had!

Then one day I buy burgers at In 'N Out and he'll say: 

- Wow this is the absolute best burger I've ever had!

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Then other times I can tell he's trying not to hurt my feelings, he says he loves my dish but I can tell he doesn't, because he's not eating any of it. 

13. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I think my son might be low carbing lol. He only eats fruits veggies and proteins with the occasional pasta. Today he's loving the soup!

14. goldilocks

goldilocks

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Same with me I'm afraid. My husband always says "Not ANOTHER cook book!" when I come home beaming, clutching my new book with joy. To be fair, at last count I was up to 108, but you can never have too many in my opinion!

I also have another habbit that annoys him. As soon as we get on the train home I always say "So, what shall we have for dinner then?". I like to plan it, to think about it, to look forward to it. it drives him crazy. He tells me all the time I'm living up to my Italian name with my love of food!

Goldi

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  15. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Well, then 10 shelf-meters of cookbooks, books on charcuterie, pickling, on culinary history, the psychology and anthropology of food tend to result in the occasional raised eyebrow when I have guests around...

16. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    People out and about, friends, my family members, even my husband think that I am over-the-top-crazy-food-obsessed-out-of-my-bleeding-mind-BONKERS!

When ever we go out to eat, I take photos

(except at this 'Cowboy Joint' we went to...no, for real, it's a converted barn on this ranch out in the middle of NO WHERE!... I didn't think that it was going to go over well with 'the boys' at the bar, although when I went over to talk to the owner, she did say that it would be ok, but with a funny look on her face, like, REALLY? WHY? so I didn't-mighty fine grub!)

When ever I cook/bake/preserve/grill/smoke/can/pickle--- make anything, I take photos

When we travel, I take photos

I blog

I Face Book

I Twitter

I Tumblr

I Goggle+

I Pinterest

I FOAP

I (use to) Flickr

I Foursquare

I am, by my nature, a very shy person, but when it comes to anything remotely related to food, I have no fear.

I walk right up to a chef, an owner, FOH manager, butcher, baker, farmer, I don't care...and ask all kinds of questions.

I thank the owner/chef/cook as we leave a restaurant, I ask if I can come back into a kitchen, I ask if I can take photos (always), I ask about that farmers crops or livestock, I ask how that pastry is put together to look so beautiful... on and on  ...

AND I've made up a "calling-card" (remember those? my husband does think that's a pretty cool idea) that I give out each time that I do take photos and tell them exactly what my intensions are with that photo and invite them to take a look at it later.  Most owner/chefs are greatful, that this would give them more exposure in the social media genre.

but by far and above all not least, my best-first-love, I share here at CHEF TALK, which got me started with all of this three years ago.  And this is what I have come to realize is that food is all about sharing, how ever you feel the need.

If you get it, great, if you don't, well, I just hope that you enjoy the meal.

Now, my husband wants me to make some money off of my 'little hobby that obesses you dear, to help pay for all of these ingredients that you buy' , although he's the MAIN person who benefits from this crazy-little-thing-I-do...yum!

17. helloitslucas

helloitslucas

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Absolutely. I am "that" friend who always gets dinner parties together, talks about food at home, talks about food in the restaurant, reads cookery books every day and genuinely LOVES being a cook. My friends always ask me cookery questions, recipe questions or how to make some things. I set up a night to teach co-workers how to make macarons at home. I love going to dinner parties and even love throwing them more. I have found great things through food. I love it. :)

18. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I talk about food a lot, my families get togethers center around it.  Plus I enjoy cooking myself and have catered BBQ. Not much on taking pictures though. Cooking for myself plate presentation is a disposable plastic plate so I have less time standing at the sink to irritate my spine.

19. emmbai90

emmbai90

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Nah not crazy, food is an amazing way of bringing people together like music, everyone loves good food, they will be groaning when you don't make tasty dishes for them any more lol then they will be wishing you'd come back to fill their bellies.

20. jonpaul

jonpaul

Exp:
    Home Cook
    ha!my yiddisher grandma used to say"eat,enjoy...remember,the dead don't eat!"what saddens me is that,in the supermarket,you see one aisle of pre-pack fresh meat/poultry,a few shelves of fish/seafood,a small butchery & fresh fish counter & what seems like dozens of aisles of ready made/pre cooked meals.seems like,over here at least,we have the appetite for watching food being prepared on tv & are happy to let someone else do the cooking,but not for doing it ourselves.far from mad,i think we are the custodians of what appears to be a dying art.