Are Tyler and Emeril really J&W grads?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by patisserie1, Oct 10, 2005.

1. patisserie1

patisserie1

I know this is sort of a weird question but I'm trying to win a bet.

Does anyone know if Tyler Florence and/or Emeril Lagasse really graduated from Johnson & Wales. I know that they were both bestowed 'honorary doctorates' from J&W...but did they actually complete a culinary program?

Any info would be helpful....
    Thanks.

2. gabby29

gabby29

in response to your question...

"turning down a music scholarship to follow his culinary dream, emeril worked his way through the johnson and wales university culinary program to earn a doctorate."

you can read the full article here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/emer...770157,00.html

"in 1991, tyler graduated with honors from the college of culinary arts at johnson & wales university in south carolina."

the article is found here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/tyle...770297,00.html

hope this helped!

gabby

3. patisserie1

patisserie1

Gabby,
    Thanks so much for the info. I did see those articles in a web search but another article never really stated clearly if the degrees that these 2 people received from J&W were both a culinary degree AND/OR the honorary doctorate...or if they just received the honorary degree. Hmmm. Maybe I will never know for sure......
    Patisserie1

4. brotpisker

brotpisker

Exp:
    At home cook
    P√Ętisserie1,

Emeril's website states "He earned a degree from the respected culinary fortress, Johnson and Wales University, and later received an honorary Doctorate degree from the university.

Check out this link: Emeril's Bio

5. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Yes Emeril did go to J&W.

6. marie

marie

I'm not sure about Tyler Florence, but I do know that Emeril studied at J&W (Didn't finish his degree there, though.)

7. brotpisker

brotpisker

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi Marie,

Emeril did graduate from J&W in 1978.

Quote from J&W website: J&W Press release
    "The host of the Food Network's "Essence of Emeril" and "Emeril Live," Lagasse is a native of Fall River, Mass., where he honed his early culinary skills at a Portuguese bakery in his neighborhood. He then attended the College of Culinary Arts at Johnson & Wales, graduating in 1978. He received an honorary doctorate degree in culinary arts from the University in 1990. In 2002, Lagasse established the Emeril Lagasse Foundation to support and encourage programs creating developmental and educational opportunities for children."

Why do you think he did not graduate from J&W? Is the J&W website incorrect?

8. andrew563

andrew563

You know something I could of swore I read in the book"Becoming a chef" that emeril graduated from the cia. From the previous posts though, I am thinking I might be wrong though.

9. kerryclan

kerryclan

ON FTV, Sara Moulton and Anthony Boudain are CIA trained chefs. Others are from J&W, Le Cordon Bleu, or have no formal training.